ProPublica Adds Amanda Michel to Its Newsroom
New York, N.Y. (March 3, 2009)—ProPublica today announced that former HuffPost’s OffTheBus Director Amanda Michel will join its investigative newsroom. Michel will become ProPublica’s Editor of Distributed Reporting.
In her new position, Michel will initially use crowd sourcing and collaborative journalism methods to report on the impact of the federal stimulus bill. She will also help integrate these newsgathering techniques into ProPublica’s other investigative efforts.
Paul E. Steiger, ProPublica’s CEO and Editor-in-Chief, said, “Amanda will help us move our investigative journalism forward using approaches that were not possible just a few years ago.”
“I’m honored to be working with ProPublica’s phenomenal team of journalists,” said Ms. Michel. “The investigative journalism that drives ProPublica will strengthen the development of networked reporting.”
Prior to her work as the Director of OffTheBus, Michel helped launch NewAssignment.Net’s first project Assignment Zero, served as the Director of Communications at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, was a co-founder of the New Organizing Institute and worked in various media, organizing and strategic roles for political campaigns.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. With the largest news staff in American journalism devoted solely to investigative reporting, ProPublica is supported entirely by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own Web site and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
For more information, please visit ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor