ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
New York, NY – April 9, 2014 – ProPublica announced today that Ginger Thompson of The New York Times will join its staff next month as a senior reporter.
In her 15 years at The Times, Thompson has written award-winning and important stories on topics ranging from the secret role of the U.S. government in Mexico’s drug war to the devastating 2010 earthquake in Haiti and the first in-depth profile of Bradley Manning. She was also part of a team of reporters on The Times’s Pulitzer Prize winning series “How Race is Lived in America.”
“I’m thrilled to be joining an organization devoted entirely to journalism that can make a real difference in people’s lives, and one that is staffed by reporters and editors who have proven they can deliver,” Thompson said.
Prior to joining The Times, Thompson was a national reporter at The Chicago Tribune and a Pulitzer finalist as a Latin America correspondent at The Baltimore Sun. She is also a winner of the Maria Moors Cabot Prize, the Selden Ring Award, the Overseas Press Club Award, and the Inter-American Press Association Award.
“Ginger’s bona fides speak for themselves, from the impressive honors to the variety of topics she’s covered in winning them,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor. “She is just the kind of reporter we dream of hiring, and we can’t wait to see how her range of talents adds to our newsroom.”
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online news organization to win a Pulitzer Prize. In 2011, ProPublica won its second Pulitzer, the first ever awarded to a body of work that did not appear in print. In 2013, ProPublica won a Peabody Award. ProPublica is supported primarily by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own website and often to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article. For more information, please visit www.ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer