$40.3 Million in Bank Bailouts Heads to the South
Three banks in neighboring Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana received a total of $40.3 million as part of Treasury’s program to help "healthy banks." The $17.3 million for Little Rock’s OneFinancial is officially earmarked as part of Treasury’s month-old effort to expand bailout funds to small banks.
First Trust Corporation - $18 million
OneFinancial Corporation - $17.3 million
Covenant Financial Corporation - $5 million
The new infusion is dwarfed by the $68 billion that will soon return to Treasury’s coffers after yesterday’s announcement that ten large banks were approved to repay TARP.
As big banks return their TARP money, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continue to be a drain.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange