Excerpts of Video Depositions in the Case Against Joseph Caramadre
The life insurance industry tried to make variable annuities irresistible to investors and was enraged when a Rhode Island lawyer exploited the fine print for his own profit.
As the U.S. government prepared its case against that Rhode Island attorney, Joseph Caramadre, the prosecution persuaded a judge to allow it to take depositions of dying participants, including Charles Buckman and Robert Mizzoni, even though no charges had been filed at the time.
Watch excerpts from their depositions below.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments