Insurers for Drywall Supplier Settle Lawsuit
Insurers representing Florida-based drywall supplier Banner Supply Co. have agreed to pay $55 million to settle some of the claims filed by homeowners whose homes were built with Chinese drywall, our partners at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported today.
The settlement, reached in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, involves four of Banner Supply's insurers.
Russ Herman, an attorney who represents thousands of homeowners, said in a written statement that he expects that other parties also will settle within coming weeks.
In 2010, an investigation by ProPublica and the Sarasota Herald-Tribune found that Banner Supply and many Florida builders, drywall installers, and environmental consultants knew as early as 2006 that Chinese drywall was emitting foul odors, but chose not to warn consumers or regulators.
Through a review of public records, we found that nearly 7,000 homes had been affected by the bad drywall, which can trigger respiratory problems and cause electric appliances to fail.
Foul air from Chinese-made drywall has created a nightmare for thousands of homeowners.
The Story So Far
ProPublica and the Sarasota Herald-Tribune began examining in May 2010 what was—or wasn’t—being done to help people whose homes had been built with contaminated drywall. The problematic drywall, much of it imported from China, emitted foul odors and frequently caused mysterious failures of new appliances and electronics. Worse yet, some residents complained of serious respiratory problems, bloody noses, and migraines.
Request the Data
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments