Scandal Watch Update: Palin, Kilpatrick Jump In
There are two new additions to Scandal Watch today.
First, after a weekend of intense coverage following John McCain’s pick of Gov. Sarah Palin as his VP, the allegations surrounding Palin’s dismissal of Alaska’s top cop makes the list. Here’s our backgrounder on the “Troopergate” allegations. Also, we’re tracking the ongoing coverage around the Web.
Second, we’ve added Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s ongoing saga. Tomorrow, Kilpatrick will face his first day of reckoning when the governor holds a hearing on whether he should be booted from office. Even if he survives, Kilpatrick still has two criminal trials on the horizon.
Also, following some reader questions about the feature, we’ve recently refined our methodology for choosing which scandals make the list. First on our checklist: Is there a clearly identifiable alleged act of wrongdoing by a person with power?
As always, you can keep track of these and other scandals down on the right side of the page, and don’t forget to check back on Friday to catch our weekly roundup of the major developments.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange