Scandal Watch Update: Palin, Kilpatrick Jump In
There are two new additions to Scandal Watch today.
First, after a weekend of intense coverage following John McCain’s pick of Gov. Sarah Palin as his VP, the allegations surrounding Palin’s dismissal of Alaska’s top cop makes the list. Here’s our backgrounder on the “Troopergate” allegations. Also, we’re tracking the ongoing coverage around the Web.
Second, we’ve added Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s ongoing saga. Tomorrow, Kilpatrick will face his first day of reckoning when the governor holds a hearing on whether he should be booted from office. Even if he survives, Kilpatrick still has two criminal trials on the horizon.
Also, following some reader questions about the feature, we’ve recently refined our methodology for choosing which scandals make the list. First on our checklist: Is there a clearly identifiable alleged act of wrongdoing by a person with power?
As always, you can keep track of these and other scandals down on the right side of the page, and don’t forget to check back on Friday to catch our weekly roundup of the major developments.
Our Hottest Stories
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Segregation Now
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Labor Department Intervenes on Behalf of Hearst Interns
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison