Scandal Watch Update: Palin, Kilpatrick Jump In
There are two new additions to Scandal Watch today.
First, after a weekend of intense coverage following John McCain’s pick of Gov. Sarah Palin as his VP, the allegations surrounding Palin’s dismissal of Alaska’s top cop makes the list. Here’s our backgrounder on the “Troopergate” allegations. Also, we’re tracking the ongoing coverage around the Web.
Second, we’ve added Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s ongoing saga. Tomorrow, Kilpatrick will face his first day of reckoning when the governor holds a hearing on whether he should be booted from office. Even if he survives, Kilpatrick still has two criminal trials on the horizon.
Also, following some reader questions about the feature, we’ve recently refined our methodology for choosing which scandals make the list. First on our checklist: Is there a clearly identifiable alleged act of wrongdoing by a person with power?
As always, you can keep track of these and other scandals down on the right side of the page, and don’t forget to check back on Friday to catch our weekly roundup of the major developments.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments