Struggling Homeowners, Tell Us Your Story
Have you applied for a loan modification under the Obama administration's Making Home Affordable program? Are you thinking about it?
If so, we at ProPublica want to hear your story. ProPublica has been tracking the new program as well as the struggles of homeowners seeking to benefit from it.
The government has committed $75 billion to reduce mortgage expenses for up to four million homeowners struggling to make their payments. Check here to see if your loan servicer has begun participating in the program.
Banks and the government have fallen short in helping homeowners in danger of foreclosure.
The Story So Far
Systemic failures at the country’s banks and mortgage servicers have exacerbated the most severe foreclosure crisis since the Great Depression, and government efforts to limit the damage have fallen short. ProPublica created an unrivaled database of homeowners who have faced foreclosure, opened a Facebook page to encourage homeowners to share their stories, wrote profiles of some of them, and incorporated their experiences into our reporting. We also provided a comprehensive rundown of the numbers behind the crisis.
Latest Stories in this Project
- Bank of America Lied to Homeowners and Rewarded Foreclosures, Former Employees Say
- For Most Homeowners, Gov't Foreclosure Deal Brings A Few Hundred Bucks
- Feds Replace Flawed Foreclosure Review With Vague $8.5 Billion Settlement
- As Foreclosure Crisis Drags On, So Does Flawed Government Response
- Cheat Sheet: BofA Supplied Default Answers for 'Independent' Foreclosure Claims Reviewers
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups
- Medicaid Programs Drowning in Backlog