“The Perfect Terrorist” Investigation Debuts Tomorrow
ProPublica and PBS FRONTLINE will publish the results of a months-long investigation into how David Coleman Headley worked as a spy for the Pakistan’s intelligence service while planning the 2008 Mumbai attack for the terrorist organization.
Tomorrow, ProPublica and PBS FRONTLINE will publish the results of a months-long investigation into how David Coleman Headley worked as a spy for the Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate (ISI) while planning the 2008 Mumbai attack for the terrorist organization Lashkar-i-Taiba. In spite of this information, Pakistan has not arrested an ISI officer or other accused masterminds of the Mumbai plot who have been indicted by the U.S. Six Americans were among the 166 people killed in the three-day siege.
In a preview interview today, Fresh Air’s Terry Gross talks to ProPublica’s Sebastian Rotella about the investigation. They will discuss Headley’s role as an informant for the DEA, how U.S. intelligence agencies and law enforcement officials responded to repeated warnings about Headley’s activities and ultimately, as some Indian officials believe, whether Headley was a double agent.
Interviews with Rotella and/or FRONTLINE producer Tom Jennings will also air on the Bob Edwards Show The Takeaway and The World tomorrow. Jennings and Rotella will also participate in a chat on Wednesday at 11 a.m. Eastern to answer any questions you may have about the reports.
The Mumbai terror attacks have revealed evidence of the extent of the ties of Pakistani intelligence to terrorist groups and the flaws in the U.S fight against Pakistan-based terror.
Latest Stories in this Project
- Terror Group Recruits From Pakistan’s 'Best and Brightest'
- Four Disturbing Questions About the Mumbai Terror Attack
- Judge Gives American 35 Years for Plotting Deadly Mumbai Terror Attack
- The American Behind India’s 9/11 -- And How U.S. Botched Chances to Stop Him
- Support for Mumbai Terror Group Lands Chicagoan 14-Year Prison Term
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma