To Track Stimulus, A New Version of Recovery.gov
The independent agency responsible for stimulus oversight has unveiled a refurbished version of Recovery.gov, the official Web site for tracking stimulus money. The revamped site has more maps and more data, but its real test will come at the end of October, when spending reports from hundreds of thousands of stimulus money recipients are due to be posted — a key test for the Obama administration’s promise of stimulus transparency and accountability.
Reviews of the updated site are lukewarm. Federal Times points out that it’s still hard to use the site’s search tools to find out how much stimulus money has gone to a specific contractor. OMB Watch adds that while the site lists non-competitive contracts that have been awarded, that list doesn’t include an award identification number, making it hard to get more information.
The Wall Street Journal notes that the site still doesn’t include how much stimulus money each federal agency got in the first place. (Luckily, dear reader, we’ve found that information for you, and posted it on our Stimulus Progress Bar.)
Have thoughts about the new Recovery.gov you’d like to share? We’d love to hear them. E-mail us, or add your comments under this post.
Officials have struggled to spend the nearly $800 billion stimulus package quickly and effectively.
Latest Stories in this Project
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma