Dart Center Honors “Finding Oscar” Investigation
The Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma announced today that ProPublica and our partners This American Life and Fundación MEPI won the Award for Excellence in Coverage of Trauma for our joint “Finding Oscar” and “What Happened at Dos Erres” stories. This is the third time ProPublica has been honored with a Dart Center Award.
The pieces tell the story of Oscar Ramírez Castañeda and how he survived a 1982 massacre in Dos Erres, Guatemala, after he was kidnapped and raised by one of the killers. A determined prosecutor eventually solved the mystery and obtained guilty verdicts for some of the commandos involved in the atrocity, all while helping Oscar learn the truth about his past and leading to a reunion with his real father who also had survived.
In the Dart Center announcement, the judges called the narrative "'wonderfully gripping' and 'utterly remarkable' in its level of complexity, engagement and impact. They praised the variety of 'delicately-balanced storytelling techniques,' 'astute interviewing' and 'range of voices and perspectives' that created a 'riveting' and 'revealing' narrative about perpetrators, victims and justice. They commented on the 'unusual strength' of the online, radio and multimedia components, and commended the 'transnational and transcultural collaboration' between ProPublica, Fundación MEPI and This American Life, calling it a model for innovative reporting on human rights."
Read more about the Dart Center Awards here and congratulations to all the winners and finalists.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back