#MuckReads Guest Editors Will Focus on Phone Hacking Scandal
UPDATE: Unfortunately, due to today’s breaking news about the closing of News of the World, the Guardian’s Alan Rusbridger could not join us in editing MuckReads. However, this morning he sent us some of his favorite stories and we will feature some of those.
Today our #MuckReads feature will be guest edited by three journalists who are well-versed in the News of the World phone hacking scandal: Alan Rusbridger (@arusbridger), Editor of the Guardian; Don Van Natta, Jr (@DVNJr), investigative reporter at the New York Times, and Sarah Ellison (@Sarahlellison), Contributing Editor at Vanity Fair.
#MuckReads curates the day's essential accountability stories, discovered and shared by our reporters and editors, and readers. We’ve asked our guest editors to share the most essential and informative reads about the phone hacking scandal. Throughout the day, they will tweet what they think are the most interesting and seminal pieces about the phone hacking scandal. Their recommendations will be shared by us on #MuckReads and @ProPublica.
The Guardian has some background on the scandal, which Slate’s Jack Shafer tweeted “is unspooling like a Brit noir. Murder, political corruption, cops on the take, crooked journalists, dirty detectives"
Full disclosure: Sarah Ellison is the wife of ProPublica senior reporter Jesse Eisinger (@esingerj).
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
- ProPublica Hires Senior Reporter to Investigate Privacy Issues
- ProPublica Files Motion to Release Court Rulings Authorizing NSA Phone Surveillance
- Nicole Collins Bronzan Named As ProPublica’s New Director of Communications
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Coming Monday: Revamped Podcast Launches With Guest Jim Dwyer
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Brooklyn Man Walks Out of Court, Cleared of Murder After 24 Years in Prison
- Labor Department Intervenes on Behalf of Hearst Interns