#MuckReads Guest Editors Will Focus on Phone Hacking Scandal
UPDATE: Unfortunately, due to today’s breaking news about the closing of News of the World, the Guardian’s Alan Rusbridger could not join us in editing MuckReads. However, this morning he sent us some of his favorite stories and we will feature some of those.
Today our #MuckReads feature will be guest edited by three journalists who are well-versed in the News of the World phone hacking scandal: Alan Rusbridger (@arusbridger), Editor of the Guardian; Don Van Natta, Jr (@DVNJr), investigative reporter at the New York Times, and Sarah Ellison (@Sarahlellison), Contributing Editor at Vanity Fair.
#MuckReads curates the day's essential accountability stories, discovered and shared by our reporters and editors, and readers. We’ve asked our guest editors to share the most essential and informative reads about the phone hacking scandal. Throughout the day, they will tweet what they think are the most interesting and seminal pieces about the phone hacking scandal. Their recommendations will be shared by us on #MuckReads and @ProPublica.
The Guardian has some background on the scandal, which Slate’s Jack Shafer tweeted “is unspooling like a Brit noir. Murder, political corruption, cops on the take, crooked journalists, dirty detectives"
Full disclosure: Sarah Ellison is the wife of ProPublica senior reporter Jesse Eisinger (@esingerj).
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma