News Apps Team Takes Home 4 Malofiej Awards for Infographics
The Malofiej Awards announced today that ProPublica’s team of news applications developers has won four awards in its annual contest recognizing the best infographics across the globe.
Silver awards went to:
- ProPublica’s overall portfolio;
- “China’s Memory Hole: The Images Erased From Sina Weibo,” a staff project that collected and published images deleted from Sina Weibo, “China’s Twitter,” providing a window into China’s censorship system; and
- “ER Wait Watcher,” by Lena Groeger, Mike Tigas and Sisi Wei; this tool allows users to look up average ER wait times, as reported by hospitals to the federal government.
“Prescriber Checkup,” which uses Medicare data to help patients track and compare doctors’ prescribing habits, won a bronze medal for Jeff Larson, Jennifer LaFleur, Charles Ornstein, Tracy Weber and Lena Groeger.
See all of this year’s winners here.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter