‘Prescribers’ Project Wins Health Data Liberators Award
ProPublica’s “Prescribers” series received the Health Data Liberators Award today at the Health Datapalooza in Washington, DC. The award recognizes work that opens doors to positive change in health care.
“The Prescribers” used Medicare data to analyze the way doctors prescribe, finding that lack of federal oversight was allowing risky prescribing and billions of dollars in waste and fraud. Its driving force is the innovative “Prescriber Checkup” news application, which allows patients to look up their own doctors to see what they’re prescribing. The investigation has already prompted federal officials to reform the way they police doctors in Medicare, the country’s biggest drug program.
ProPublica’s team on the project – Charles Ornstein, Tracy Weber, Jennifer LaFleur, Lena Groeger and Jeff Larson – showed that “in the right hands, health data is a powerful tool, able to bring about greater understanding of how our system works, and when deployed effectively, positive changes to policy, technology, clinical care, and patient outcomes,” said Dwayne Spradlin, CEO of Health Data Consortium.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back