Presidential Pardons: Shades of Mercy Ebook Available Today
Today, Open Road Media releases an ebook version of ProPublica’s “Presidential Pardons: Shades of Mercy” series. Written by Dafna Linzer and Jennifer LaFleur, the investigation explored the unintended consequences of President Bush’s attempt to take politics out of the pardon process. The new system, which is still in place under President Obama, has resulted in white criminals being almost four times as likely to receive a presidential pardon than people of color. The story also reveals how applicants who have support from a member of Congress triple their chances of receiving mercy from the executive branch.
The ebook contains a new introduction by Linzer about how she got started on the story, as well as an afterword on our research methodology, and additional charts and graphics.
The ebook comes on the heels of political leaders seeking reform and improvements in the process. Earlier this year, the House Judiciary Committee asked Attorney General Eric Holder tough questions about ProPublica’s investigation and what his plans were to change the pardon process. And former Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich is seeking support for a new law clinic that will aid and improve the pardon system.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back