ProPublica Managing Editor Steve Engelberg’s Favorite #Longreads
In advance of tonight's event, "Long-Form Storytelling in a Short-Attention-Span World,” our Managing Editor, Steve Engelberg, has compiled a short list of his favorite #longreads.
Vanity Fair: "Beware of Greeks Bearing Bonds" by Michael Lewis
Wall Street Journal ($): Seven Hours of Sitting and Waiting Leaves Northwest Passengers Near Breaking Point by Susan Carey
The New Yorker: "The Agent - Did the C.I.A. Stop an F.B.I. Detective from Preventing 9/11?" by Lawrence Wright
The New Yorker: "The Cost Conundrum -- What a Texas Town Can Teach Us About Health Care" by Atul Gawande
Vanity Fair: “A Declaration of Cyber-War” by Michael Joseph Gross
Engelberg will be joined on the stage by the New Yorker's David Remnick, This American Life's Ira Glass, and FrontlinePBS's Raney Aronson-Rath. You can join us, too! For those in NY, the seats are in the New School’s Tishman Auditorium and are first-come, first-serve. More details here. The panel will also be webcast. Just use the hasthag #lfsa to join in on Twitter.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.