ProPublica Managing Editor Steve Engelberg’s Favorite #Longreads
In advance of tonight's event, "Long-Form Storytelling in a Short-Attention-Span World,” our Managing Editor, Steve Engelberg, has compiled a short list of his favorite #longreads.
Vanity Fair: "Beware of Greeks Bearing Bonds" by Michael Lewis
Wall Street Journal ($): Seven Hours of Sitting and Waiting Leaves Northwest Passengers Near Breaking Point by Susan Carey
The New Yorker: "The Agent - Did the C.I.A. Stop an F.B.I. Detective from Preventing 9/11?" by Lawrence Wright
The New Yorker: "The Cost Conundrum -- What a Texas Town Can Teach Us About Health Care" by Atul Gawande
Vanity Fair: “A Declaration of Cyber-War” by Michael Joseph Gross
Engelberg will be joined on the stage by the New Yorker's David Remnick, This American Life's Ira Glass, and FrontlinePBS's Raney Aronson-Rath. You can join us, too! For those in NY, the seats are in the New School’s Tishman Auditorium and are first-come, first-serve. More details here. The panel will also be webcast. Just use the hasthag #lfsa to join in on Twitter.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.