ProPublica Wins ASNE Award for Distinguished Writing on Diversity
His reporting unveiled a network of immigrant labor brokers called raiteros, and how they recruit and shuttle temp workers on behalf of some of the largest companies in the country, providing just-in-time labor at the lowest possible cost to corporations while charging temp workers high fees that often push their pay below minimum wage. Using exhaustive statistical analysis, Grabell and ProPublica's data team also found that temp jobs are among the most dangerous -- with temp workers getting injured at as much as six times the rate of regular employees, even in comparable occupations.
The judges also recognized T. Christian Miller and Jeff Gerth's "Overdose" series as a finalist for ASNE's Punch Sulzberger Award for Online Storytelling. Their investigation examined the risks of acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, and how federal officials have failed to act as they confronted increasingly definitive evidence of its danger.
See the full list of winners here. Congratulations to all involved.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Insta-Loophole: In Florida, High-Cost Lender Skirts the Law