ProPublica Wins Two Awards of Excellence in Digital Design
The Society for News Design has honored ProPublica with two Best of Digital Design Awards. The first Award of Excellence in data-driven projects recognized ProPublica's Opportunity Gap news application, which presents federal data on public schools across the country to see how states compare in providing equal access to education. The second Award of Excellence was for ProPublica's mobile experience. We recently re-engineered our site with an adaptive design so that users can see an optimized version that perfectly fits their smartphone, no matter what size the screen. Scott Klein, ProPublica's director of news applications, describes in detail how he and his team accomplished this on our nerd blog.
This is the second year ProPublica has won two Best of Digital Design Awards from SND. Last year, ProPublica's Dialysis Facility Tracker news application won in information graphics and ProPublica was a part of the judges' "special recognition" category for "defining the design language of data-driven news apps" and establishing "a consistent set of expectations for a new breed of storytelling."
You can see a full list of this year's winners here. Congratulations to our news apps team.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
- ProPublica Hires Senior Reporter to Investigate Privacy Issues
- ProPublica Files Motion to Release Court Rulings Authorizing NSA Phone Surveillance
- Nicole Collins Bronzan Named As ProPublica’s New Director of Communications
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups