ProPublica’s Amanda Michel Among Top New Media Innovators
New York Magazine recently compiled a list of the top 21 new media innovators -- a group of journalists and like-minded inventors who are crafting tools that "fill the holes left open by the new/old media dichotomy" -- and ProPublica was pleased to find that one of our very own was mentioned: Director of Online Engagement, Amanda Michel.
Michel (@amichel), who previously ran The Huffington Post's OffTheBus citizen journalism project, spearheads everything social at ProPublica, such as our ever-growing Twitter account (@ProPublica) and Facebook page. However, Michel's efforts to rethink crowdsourcing when it comes to journalism is what landed her on this list with fellow 'data detectives' Aron Pilhofer of DocumentCloud and Matt Stiles of NPR.
Notably, Michel has utilized crowdsourcing to scour through the tons of data on the federal government's Recovery.org site and Amazon's Mechanical Turk to help collect, reformat, and de-duplicate this information. Her latest community project, #MuckReads, allows anyone to suggest some of the top accountability stories of the day by tweeting the hashtag or emailing recommendations. ProPublica hopes to turn this into an ongoing newsroom resource. "Our mission is to do journalism that has real-world impact, and we're especially keen to find and promote work from others that has the same impetus," Michel writes.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.