ProPublica’s Jennifer LaFleur Inducted into the National Freedom of Information Act Hall of Fame
Jennifer LaFleur, ProPublica's director of computer-assisted reporting, has been selected as part of the 2011 class of the National Freedom of Information Act Hall of Fame -- an honor given by the First Amendment Center to individuals who "work on behalf of freedom of information and its impact on government access policies and practices."
LaFleur's fellow 2011 inductees include: Tony Mauro, National Law Journal; Sean Moulton, OMB Watch; David C. Vladeck, Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection; and Anne Weismann, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
"These men and women have developed and defended federal legislation, ensuring the right of the American public to know about the actions of its government and helping journalists use the act in their work," the selection committee wrote.
LaFleur has written extensively on FOIA requests and was invited to speak at an event celebrating Sunshine Week -- a national initiative to raise awareness about the importance of open government and freedom of information -- for her expertise. Watch the full discussion below.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.