ProPublica’s Nikole Hannah-Jones Wins Sidney Award
ProPublica reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones and This American Life's Nancy Updike have won the Sidney Award for their collaborative project, House Rules, which traced the history of the Fair Housing Act and how the landmark legislation intended to reverse decades of government-fostered segregation hasn't accomplished much in its 45-year history.
The TAL episode – based heavily on Hannah-Jones' investigative series, Living Apart – highlights how landlords can have drastically different responses to potential tenants depending on their race – demonstrating how housing discrimination still persists today.
"House Rules tells the little-known history of one of the most important pieces of civil rights legislation in U.S. history," Sidney judge Lindsay Beyerstein said. "The program exposes a legacy of official housing discrimination and documents the ongoing efforts to reverse it."
Congrats to Nikole and our partners at TAL. You can read more about the Sidney award and how this collaboration came together here.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma