Should the Government Compel Communities to Integrate?
For our next Investigate This Tenement Talk, we’re putting together a panel that will try to answer whether the U.S. government has the right to force cities to integrate. The panelists will be ProPublica reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones, former senior Housing and Urban Development official Betsy Julian, the Tenement Museum’s senior education associate Adam Steinberg and WNYC’s Empire Blog writer Colby Hamilton will moderate the discussion.
The event will take place on Monday, December 10 at 6:30pm Eastern at the Tenement Museum, which is located at 103 Orchard Street (at Delancey). It’s free and open to the public and can be viewed live on the Tenement Museum’s U-Stream channel. If you have a question you would like to ask, tweet it with the hashtag #InvestigateThis and we'll have the participants answer.
The conversation comes on the heels of an investigation published last month, in which Hannah-Jones explored how HUD has never truly tried to enforce the Fair Housing Act. She went on to detail how, even with a court order to desegregate, HUD has let New York’s Westchester County fight attempts to integrate the county that both Bill Clinton and Gov. Andrew Cuomo call home.
We hope to see you there.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma