Investigations You Need to Read: Monday
Today in accountability news:
- With the passage of health care reform, insurers face a "strikingly different business environment" and more regulation, reports The New York Times, but also an influx of new customers.
- Bloomberg reports that billion-dollar fines be damned, drug companies are aggressively marketing drugs for off-label use--maximizing the consumer base, but causing harm or even death to patients.
- A second Gitmo? The White House is considering whether to detain international terrorism suspects in a U.S. military base prison in Afghanistan, reports the Los Angeles Times.
- One New York congressman's luxe spending habits are drawing scrutiny from ethics watchdogs and regulators, reports The New York Times.
- In the event of a major earthquake, nearly 180 public university buildings in California are seismically unsafe and could risk tens of thousands of lives, according to an investigation by California Watch.
- The U.N. is staying mum about the results of confidential probes into widespread sexual exploitation by its peacekeepers. Sexually related allegations against U.N. military forces last year rose by 12 percent, reports The Wall Street Journal.
These stories are part of our ongoing roundup of investigations from other news outlets. For more, visit our Investigations Elsewhere page.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer