PA Governor Gives Energy Executive Supreme Authority Over Environmental Permitting

Pennsylvania’s governor has appointed an energy industry executive to oversee the state’s job creation effort and wants to give him unusual authority to streamline state permits, including for gas drilling.

c. healy

March 10, 2011, 8:01 p.m.

who signs mike’s paychecks? just curious…

Joe

March 10, 2011, 8:12 p.m.

(C. healy)You wonder too? Maybe That’s C Allen Walker’s pseudonym. Hey, ya never know. More likely though Walker pays him. Walker doesn’t need to waste his time trolling the internet. Well he might use the internet to pick out some new things to get with his new found riches.

NT

March 10, 2011, 8:16 p.m.

Another Walker that needs to be recalled before he is confirmed!

Drill Baby Drill

March 10, 2011, 8:18 p.m.

It’s about time the tide is turned against you tree hugging socialists.  For years, businesses have had to deal with socialist policy makers that don’t know the first thing about running a business.  Now you people will get a taste of your own medicine and I hope it gets shoved down your throats.

Joe

March 10, 2011, 8:36 p.m.

Hey Drill BABY why don’t you take the tour Spike was so generous to offer and see if that knocks a little wind out of your mean spirited arrogant sails.

Drill Baby Drill

March 10, 2011, 9:07 p.m.

I’d be happy to Joe, but only if you take me up on an offer to give you a tour to witness how the energy is produced that powers your cappuccino machine and the very computer screen you socialists like to hide behind as you continue to proclaim what you think is best for us.

Kathleen

March 10, 2011, 9:11 p.m.

I feel frightened and helpless to Natural Gas Industry and Republican Governor and legislature that BIg Corporate Money just put into office in Pennsylvania.  Gas wells appear in public parks (Penn Hills Park) where people walk their dogs, in neighborhoods like Verona, PA, just next door to Penn Hills.  In densely populated neighborhoods “gas rights” are being purchased from property owners and people who live in the neighborhood may have to suffer through the noise pollution, air pollution, ground pollution and water pollution.  Property values ruined.  The health of the citizens and our right to enjoy our property DOES NOT APPLY anymore!  DICK CHENEY made SURE that OIL & GAS COMPANIES are “EXEMPT” from Clean Air regulations!!
NOW - even as LOCAL politicians, LIKE SENATOR FERLO are trying to put moratoriums and regulations on the NAT GAS INDUSTRY to protect citizens - NOW, Just like WISCONSIN, OUR GOVERNOR is making SURE THAT CORPORATIONS can RUN OVER PENNSYLVANIA and RAVAGE, WITHOUT REGULATIONS, without CONCERN for HEALTH of Pennsylvanians.  This is ALL PLANNED.
(NOTE:  Just today, 3/10/2011, on Pittsburgh local news there was story about a chemical bromide that mixes with another chemical to form a carcinogen found in the Allegheny River.
PLEASE HELP MAKE THIS STORY - a NATIONAL STORY.
This NAT GAS DRILLING is NOT, at the present time, for the energy NEEDS OF AMERICA - It is mostly for EXPORT overseas and CORPORATE PROFIT.
Help.

Steve

March 10, 2011, 9:19 p.m.

Mike H has a problem accepting that there are consequences to drilling in the Marcellus Shale. But rather than solving problems related to this drilling, the DEP budget has been cut, Corbett exempts industry from the severence tax (even Texas and Wyoming enacted the tax), and companies like Cabot truck in bottled water to the residents of Dimock but don’t admit their actions cause the wells to become contaminated.

To ignore facts is becoming a badge of honor for certain conservatives today and making up the rules as you go is hardly the democratic ideals our country was founded on. No matter, drill away - no taxes , regulations or facts will get in our way.

Ignorance is bliss.

J Darling

March 10, 2011, 9:52 p.m.

It is an absolute LIE that there is no evidence of fracking fluids polluting streams, rivers and wells. You say there is no evidence and I say you are a liar!

Scott

March 10, 2011, 9:59 p.m.

Living in the heart of the drilling I can say it not fun. My water well is gone and nothing I can do about it. I don’t have the money to fight these people. At the same time the road are falling apart from all of the extra heavy truck traffic of course the GOP will not tax these people to pay for the road damage. As for jobs most of the people that are doing the drilling are from out of state. Water is the most valuable resource we have when its gone it gone and we can’t live without it try drinking oil or gas see how long you last

Joe

March 10, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

It is discouraging to see the way our “representatives” on both sides of the aisle have allowed us to be put further and further in harms way instead of protecting us from further harm. It does bring some comfort to know that there are people trying to expose the lies that brought us to this juncture. It is also encouraging to see that most of the people responding to this article seem to share my concerns. However where does that leave us? I can’t see that the tea party is the answer and I don’t think throwing around absurd insulting allegations helps either. BTW drill BABY I don’t own a cappuccino machine (as if that mattered) and i am not a socialist as if that mattered. I certainly wouldn’t touch that water that Spike would show you but I am a consumer of increasingly limited means after a lifetime of hard work.I am however happy that there was still some sort of safety network available for those of us who got screwed by unregulated capitalist greed. Many of us have not recovered from that debacle and some never will. Some have to boil the water to wash their kids and some have seen their property value drop 85% or more. There always needs to be a balance, and right now we are way out of balance. Part of being human is being good and part is being greedy. It seems that the greedy part of us is running rampant and the greediest among us are totally drunk with their successes. I hope we can find a way back to a time where the good side of us dominates whatever our political persuasion. Do you understand that Mike H or drill baby? Did you read and perhaps commiserate with the poor souls who were destroyed by greed? I sincerely hope so.

chris

March 10, 2011, 10:42 p.m.

Glad to see the east coast is waking up. I’ve been warning my family back there for weeks, no one is listening. I’m a transplant in WI for the last 17 years. Grew up in PA, vacationed at the Jersey Shore.These type of crazy laws are being passed in many states where uber right wing nuts got in charge. In WI our governor and repubs in the legislature are totally disregarding laws. Watch out for what’s going through the legislature these guys are all using the same playbook and they change laws to their liking. We have had people in the streets here for weeks and have been trying to get word out. The national news is largely consolidated and you get the same basic msg from each, some with more lies ( fox ) all somewhat misleading. None except ED Schultz and Rachael Maddow aren’t telling the whole story. In WI they wrapped these changes in the guise of an anti-union bill. It was anti-union but so much more than that. They are ending all State aid to our schools and disallowed the raising of property taxes state wide to make up for the shortfall. Expanded a voucher program meant for severely disadvantaged kids to have no income limits, meaning it can now be used for private school education. This will result in children who can not attend school at all. They are defunding Medciad with a plan to totally dismantle it the initial cut will effect 1.2 Million poor and sick people in WI. The bill sells off our State power plants in a no bid contract to private industry and so much more. I could go on and on. WI is a test bed for a lot of this stuff and although they had a vote we’re not done here by a long shot. We are in the process of recalls that are going well and we continue to protest in many ways. We are beginning to protest supporters of the governor. For example our firefighters withdrew 190,000 worth of savings from M and I bank. We protested out side their bank today to let others know that they are supporters of his. There is an organization called usuncut.org check it out. We working class across this country need to say no to this power grab and theft from our States. WI by the way had a surplus when this guy took over gave it away in tax cuts to business. Anyway get active, blame wall street, get in the streets keep it peaceful but constructive. Boycott companies that are anti people, anti middle class. Take action to bring attention to the corps who pay no taxes but took huge bailouts. We are not responsible for this mess. The network news is feeding the envy of people with decent jobs and benefits by telling those with less that it is because we get extravagant pay and benefits. They have done their jobs well lowering the expectations of the American people, they tell us be glad you have a job, while they spend like drunken sailors on our backs. The very people telling them these lies make more money than I’ve ever seen.
Another fact they fail to mention are all of the concessions that have been made over the years to help cut costs.

Anyway good luck get active,

Democracy requires participation or it will die.

Hey if you want to do WI a favor you could get a DC protest going on the 16th of March. The senators from WI who just passed this shameful bill will be at the BRG group for a fundraiser. If you go a great chant is SHAME! SHAME!

Stand for something or fall for anything
Chris

Lori

March 10, 2011, 10:42 p.m.

Ohio gov. Kasich has already put a gas and oil industry friend in as Director of our Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources - the agency that has complete authority over the permitting, inspecting, mandatory pooling, etc. for drilling.  Again, where is the outrage in the media about this?

Brenda

March 10, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

Mike H’s comment—“I never said that there have not been and cases of drinking water being fouled from drilling activities, I said that fracturing fluids haven’t been found in well water”

True, that is called “dissembling.”  Answer a question or address an issue other than the one that has been raised.  I have seen most of the gas industry spokesmodels mouth the same words for months, in town meetings, gas forums, and even on Facebook.  I hope Mike H is not someone I actually know, because if so a bunch of us are going to be very disappointed.

For the real answers about “what” is fouling the ground and surface waters of Pennsylvania, look at the analyses of the flowback.  The NYT published extensive tables last week.  This concern first became visible after an “Energy Day” presentation by Penn State in Washington, DC, in November.  Since that time, I have badgered them for information and received just enough to concern every chemist and geneticist to whom I have spoken about the topic.  Thank goodness the NYT has more resources to pursue this topic than I do, I am just an lowly student.

The other issue besides ground and surface water pollution by radioactives is air quality.  Wyoming had a “code red” ozone alert this week.  It is WYOMING, in the WINTER.  I suppose the gas industry will blame the cattle or Old Faithful for “being there before there was gas drilling.”

Interesting that VP Cheney doesn’t seem to frequent his old state anymore….

clark

March 10, 2011, 11:06 p.m.

what is DEP?

Brenda

March 10, 2011, 11:26 p.m.

Clark, DEP is supposed to be Department of Environmental Protection.  But the way you put it, “What is DEP?” is a very good question at this moment.

seaofred

March 10, 2011, 11:35 p.m.

What’s the difference between what Gov. Corbett is planning to do and what Don Siegelman did to land himself in federal prison?  (for the record I don’t believe Siegelman actually committed a crime)

Del

March 11, 2011, 12:20 a.m.

Lustgarten is at it again with his bullshit rants.

Joe

March 11, 2011, 12:54 a.m.

Whoa Del what a deep thinker you must be. I hope you haven’t been drinking the water that others have been writing about. It might ruin your intellectual edge. Seriously that’s all you’ve got? Did it take you all night to come up with those nine profound words? Don’t you even care? That’s sad.

Pierre MacManus

March 11, 2011, 4:19 a.m.

When will we see a revolution in the US?
I bet on 2012.

Ken Hillman

March 11, 2011, 6:12 a.m.

Private Profits——Public Risk
dictatorial power,loss of individual rights,merging of government and industry = Fascism
a few commenters here can’t wait for their snappy uniforms, shiney boots and colorful armbands——pure never ceasing anger at all life forms—I work with these types every day—never loved as children—
“I want my candy and I want it NOW! “—- “No buddy gonna cross my boundaries and tell me what to do, but I’m gonna cross yours and crap all over it. You betcha”

Nicki

March 11, 2011, 8:34 a.m.

In reading this thread, I have two main comments:

1) cite your sources (!!!) so we can see what they are and what they say (Author, Date).

2) Its kinda disgusting to hear people argue against being cautious about protecting drinking water.

Didi Paano

March 11, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

You all know, the saddest thing today is that EVERYONE elected today in our Senate and Congress (as well as the Supreme Court members) are bought and paid for by BIG BUSINESS.  They have NO cares about what happens to you and I….the middle class is slowly becoming obsolete.  Pretty soon, we’ll be like most third world countries….80% poor and 20% rich…..nothing in between.  And, as has been said in these posts…it seems more like the foxes are taking over the hen houses all over the U.S.  And, even in 2012, when we vote again….we’ll just be voting in MORE politicians who are in the pockets of big business…..you just can’t tell the difference anymore because the only way they can campaign is with “big business money.”  It’s a sad day in the U.S., and it appears that it isn’t likely to get any better.  The middle class has lost the war…and I don’t know what we’re going to do to change it.

Spike

March 11, 2011, 10:46 a.m.

There is no one that can argue the contaminated wells caused by drilling if they seen them first hand. Did drilling cause this…..absolutely and not just a small amount. After causing these issues in every other state across the union, why isn’t there a higher standard through self regulation of the companies? Very often we see sectors of industry doing a better job of self regulating than any government agency could do…but why isn’t it happening with the natural gas industry? What is it with this industry that keeps it from improving? The amount of fallout is not an acceptable level and really not even close.

Seems that the industry is constantly on the defense and probably is also the reason why there is this same spillage of mindset among some on here making these comments as well. “We didn’t do it”, “It is naturally occurring” “fracking is safe” and on and on. To defend themselves the industry becomes entrenched is one falsehood after another in this same manner.

Actually, for the time being fracking may not be attributed to many contaminated wells…..as I am witnessing contaminated wells being probably caused by the horizontal drilling itself. If I look to Western Pa, the picture changes, there Benzene also being an issue.

The methane migration with the NORM is evident in some of the contaminated wells which may actually follow the lines of the laterals. There is potential evidence of this where the Susquehanna River is bubbling and a cluster of nearby contaminated water wells are located.

There is a much bigger danger of fracking and it will come. Either through cumulative effect of spillages, air emissions or through a natural disaster like that is going on right now in Japan. Imagine the billions of gallons of toxic soup coming to the surface in one fell swoop into all the aquifiers on an entire section of coastline in minutes as in this type of event? All happened while you slept and the next day you no longer had ANY source of healthy drinking water.

The hell with the democrats and republicans both! Everything has become extreme. What is wrong with a center position and just wanting to “Get it Right”. Obviously the political machine is operating from an extreme position and I really don’t think waiting to elect someone out of office will even supply either side with what is required to fix all these issues. The industry itself has to start the road to responsible drilling. They have to change their mindset when they do create a problem or turn a families life upside down with contaminated water. To desire to achieve a standard that other industries attempt to achieve.

This country will never benefit from all the glutted supply of gas. It is non transitional. It is wreaking uncontrollable havoc to the environment, and I am NOT a tree hugger. Let me define my view of what environment means….End of the Road! (as I like to think of it), your health, everyone’s health! The problem will reach all and will not discriminate no matter what side you are on or how much you are prospering. If we all would stop and appreciate the fact that if all our goals where one and the same; ‘Good for the entire community for the long term’ then we would all have less to argue about and fear. Arguing whether the dangers exist is nonsensical…..I am surrounded by the affected and the suffering. I really can get you a glass of tap water just about any color you want that DID NOT EXIST pre drilling!
Worse yet, there are ill people suffering from these exposures and these problems are accumulating. The landscapes are being raped without discretion, what was referred to as God’s country is now looking like hell! We all have a duty of stewardship to this planet and this human responsibility is currently not being met. The greed should not be at so much cost for our children and their children. With these current conditions, I present a law for enactment “Arrest those who desire to have children”, as I think it would almost be criminal to bring more children into this world.

There is no reason to argue really…..the damage is real, the profits are real, but at what cost should this minority profit? Money being the root of all evil couldn’t be more evident than with this industry. Slow down Mr NG CEO and “Get it Right, before it’s too late!”

WillHarper

March 11, 2011, 12:01 p.m.

How many years were we told by industry and industry apologists that there was absolutely no proof that smoking was harmful?  How many years?!!  The people of this country have been lied to again and again regarding health issues and corporate culpability.  How many times do you have to have smoke blown up your skirt before you get the idea?

Joe

March 11, 2011, 2:59 p.m.

Just a thank you to Spike for bringing a thoughtful and well expressed dimension to this thread. This material is so important to all of us of every persuasion and nit only does he get it, but he expresses it intelligently and hopefully persuasively. I know to me Spike is “preaching to the choir”. Thanks Spike.

Brenda

March 11, 2011, 3:59 p.m.

The EPA has a pretty well thought-out strategy for getting some of the radioactive discharge under control.  They have authority to regulate the waste water treatment plants.  There is a response due from PA DEP by 4/7/2011.

See the EPA’s letter here:

hd

March 11, 2011, 7:23 p.m.

It all boils down to what Spike said: people suffer from contaminated water. And from what Mike H says, it appears that it is impossible to ever prove that contamination is due to drilling. People are powerless to defend themselves and their families against the industry. As an expert witness for the company Mike H would say that the contaminants are naturally occurring and besides, the recommendation to drink bottled water was just for aesthetic reasons because people don’t trust the brown water. It is just fine, really. Not to worry though, the children, if they survive, will have jobs with the energy industry. Promise.

DONALD MCNAUGHTON

March 11, 2011, 7:51 p.m.

CORBETT YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!!!!!!!
YOU HAVE LET THE FOX INTO THE HEN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD JOB LINED UP WITH THEM WHEN YOU LEAVE OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom largey

March 12, 2011, 7:22 a.m.

PA’s politician/hacks are doing the dirty business for their corporate puppetmasters once again.  Big business’ primary concern is maximizing profits - not creating jobs, and doing so at the expense of the public’s health and well being.  These plutocrat trolls must be cornered like slippery rats and made to pay for their evil deeds.  If not, there’ll be no hope for our kids’ futures.

JD

March 12, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

Well you can see what party the arguments are coming from.  MH we are with you.  the general public does not understand the consequences of Fracking.  Yes,  it is a cheap way to extract, however there are effects of the cause.  Now when all the aquifers are ruined in this state.  The white headed kook will be lit by the gassy water he helped create.  ALL Pennsylvanians should be compensated weather the well of line ect. are close or not.  At least the gas drillers should pay for every PA tax paying citizen to have free natural gas.

Karl Stevens

March 12, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

@ Mike H- Dude, you are too much of a coward to use your real name. Always defending those who kill the world, defending the corrupt political whores and their corporate masters, and attacking Pro Publica for doing real journalism. You are most likely on the payroll of one of the death industries that run this country, but you don’t do a good job of it. Your ideas are so bizarre that nobody feels anything other than disgust and anger at the ludicrous stuff you say. Try expending your energy on behalf of clean air, clean water, and a beautiful healthy planet. You might even be able to use your real name then.

Maggy

March 13, 2011, 7:28 a.m.

How can the Governor appoint someone who owns so many assets in the energy sector to a PUBLIC position that will essentially oversee energy interests?  This is conflict of interest on steriods!  The Republicans in DC want to defund the EPA, thereby getting rid of ANY way we have of defending ourselves from these people.  As a commenter already said here, I am assuming that all of the ugly things that Republicans are doing right now will be overlooked by voters who have been thoroughly brainwashed by propaganda thanks to Citizen’s United come the next election.
These are truly frightening times.

DONALD MCNAUGHTON

March 13, 2011, 11:50 a.m.

KARL STEVENS
YOU ARE 100% RIGHT IF YOU REFUSE TO USE YOU NAME YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE! I DO NOT!!!!!!!!!

Joe

March 13, 2011, 12:40 p.m.

Donald I partially agree with you. I don’t use my whole name not because I have something to hide but rather I fear that I might be targeted by the powerful interests in some sort of retaliatory method that I haven’t anticipated. I don’t want to endanger myself or my family because I express my opinion about caring for our environment. I suspect there are some people here who are hiding there names for more nefarious reasons. If someone is going to tell me they are an expert and or are quoting experts in the energy field then I sure would like for them to mention their name and honestly state their intentions. I am not profiting from my point of view while some here clearly are. They should stand up and be counted if they are so sure of their knowledge and convictions. And certainly if they are being paid to write this than tell us so.
  Another aspect of this that i truly don’t understand and am deeply suspicious of is: why won’t the energy companies tell us exactly what they are putting into our soil and aquifers?

joe

March 13, 2011, 12:46 p.m.

what would be the point in poisoning everyone just to get the gas,then there would be no one left to buy it you dumba$$es

Joe

March 13, 2011, 12:54 p.m.

I believe that some folks live by school of thought that goes: “take the money and run”

Brenda

March 13, 2011, 12:56 p.m.

Just thought I’d share what Sen Gene Yaw replied when approached about the appointment of Walker. He said

“Mr Walker has not been suggested for any environmental appointment of any kind.”

This, again, is dissembling…a tactic that is expertly employed by the gas drilling industry with all the money in the world to train their PR people how to respond….he is making a statement to answer a question that was not asked.  A smokescreen.

It is true that Walker is not occupying an “environmental appointment.”  His position was created to oversee “job creation.”  In the budget, he is given authority to streamline and bypass permitting, we suppose even in industries which an ethical person would consider conflicts of interest…gas, oil, and trucking.

Yaw’s attitude is insulting and patronizing.

DONALD MCNAUGHTON

March 13, 2011, 1:14 p.m.

JOE
I UNDERSTAND YOUR CONCERN. I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE INDUSTRY AS WELL AS OTHERS WORKING FOR THEM. THEY HAVE MADE UP LIES ABOUT ME THAT IF THEY WERE TRUE THE POLICE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONTACTED AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED. I DO NOT FEAR THEM BUT I THINK I COULD DIE OF LEAD POISONING.

margaret buck

March 13, 2011, 4:24 p.m.

from time to time I try to let people know what the GOP’s plan is for this country, and its less goverment for business, less taxes for the rich and the moral rules for the rest of us along with the bills. Once you can get someone to be real about what they expect from goverment, they really want more regulations not less and where they want the goverment to get out is their personal lives. They want a smarter goverment that has the same rules for everyone. Next time people vote, perhaps they will be smarter, that is if they still have the right to vote.

B. Rutgers

March 14, 2011, 1:42 a.m.

Katheen   Your comments have stayed on my mind. (03/10 10:11pm)

Came back to see how the PA public relations problem was being ironed out.  Walker go on Vacation?  Corbett change the public focus?

If anyone remembers Picher, OK, (pbs.org/independent lens) what do you think we all pitch in and send these buds on a golf trip in the chat piles?  The people there seem real friendly and they have become quite good at dealing with out-of-town government types. Corbett and Walker might understand a little better why voters are getting a whiff of something the earth threw up.

If I was living surrounded by the destruction, devaluation and demoralization of my way of life I would probably have to do what our American forefathers did: Find some place better, more hopeful.  I would still call this great country my home. I just don’t think that PA has learned anything from Allentown or the coal mines.  You make a deal with these ... I can’t find a decent word ...and they take the money and run.  All that the people who need jobs get is one more life-breaking let down to pass on to the next generation.

I wonder if the people of PA have any ideas for economic developement?  I say Kathleen, run a contest.  It’s been done before, successfully.  Save a town, and you don’t have to fight against anything.  People can donate the prizes, ie; weekend for two @ spa or B & B.  An adequete business proposal (maybe AARP folks can help, tons of experience)... Investors who love their homes, and children.  Oh, yeah, love thier country.

There’s a web-site called Small Town Gems my daughter told me about.  The thing is these towns got organized enough to save themselves and truely shine as examples of America.  I’ve been to quite a few and they represent how see my American dream.  Maybe yours is a nieghborhood, or a valley.

What I want to say is don’t fight.  Turn your back on them, but don’t close your eyes and ears.  If you have a better sollution, that people support, before they force one on you (drilling) then you’re ready to stand your ground.

Other than all that, stay healthy.

Joe

March 14, 2011, 2:52 a.m.

I see glimmers of hope in some if the suggestions in between our shared and REAL fears. I am hoping that we can take those glimmers and build on them. The DEP article that is referred to is good. I am not generally considered a rabble rouser but i feel that we are going to have to do some of that forcefully ,peacefully, and in a constructive way. We share similar passions but i am afraid that we are a little bit prisoners of inertia. They are doing their damnedest to wear us down and they are currently winning. I know it is seriously depressing but we need to try to use that as a catalyst for concerted action. We haven’t quite come up with a coherent and readily accessible plan or plans. Let’s keep putting our heads together. Maybe something good can come out of this. I will continue to follow this thread and to try to figure out something after all there have been some suggestions sprinkled throughout this thread. Anyone open to looking at them and taking the best and summarizing it? Let’s keep at it-maybe we can actually begin to do something or things effective now. On that note I must try to get some sleep. I wish all of the best to all of the best! Later, Joe

Marjorie McEntee

March 14, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

We only need people on here that are familiar with the problem…not left wing nuts taking shots at the Republicans…you are under your desks when this idiot president does something stupid (always) so go under there now because your not making much sense….

WillHarper

March 14, 2011, 2:11 p.m.

Brilliant repartee, Marjorie!  Can you spell hypocrisy?  Can you sound out the word?  Now read your own post.

Joe

March 14, 2011, 2:41 p.m.

Will you took the words right out of my mouth “so to speak”. Marjorie sounds exactly like what she is describing. Sad. I am so not talking about name calling etc. I am totally not going to stoop to that mindless level even though i have a few zingers i could easily think of.
This is a serious subject and we don’t all have to agree politically or agree about EVERYTHING like some mindless monolith.But we all need water to survive and somehow we all need to try to put our heads together and figure out a way to keep our water, our lifeline, from being destroyed in the name of chasing a short term profit.

Dan Alters

March 15, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

I’ve lived in PA all my life and in northcentral PA for 37 years now.  From what I’ve observed, the gas industry seems to have the politicians in their pocket, and this drilling business is not going to end any time soon.  It reminds me of those horrible days before coal mining was effectively regulated.

Pollution incidents created by hydraulic fracturing fluids escaping into the environment from surface mishandling or subsurface miscalculations are but one concern I have.  Air pollution, forest fragmentation, chemical spills and leaks, the list seems to not end.

But I can’t get one issue out of my head.  There will be long term impacts from the thousands of well pads and many miles of access roads to service those wells plus the many more thousands of miles of pipeline corridors needed to collect that produced gas and take it to market.

That impact will be seen in higher stream flows than normal during wet weather and lower stream flows when it’s hot and dry.  With those lower stream flows the water will most likely be warmer, and the streambed itself will be wider, deeper, or have more of a bedload of sediment, depending on the geology of that stream.

Pennsylvania suffered terribly when the timber industry was first done with it around the turn of the century.  Streams were scoured and forests offered no hold on the rain or hope for shade.  Soil ran with the runoff.  It took decades before any of those streams began to resemble what they once were.  With gas wells, though, there will not be an effort to plant new forests, or even allow them to regenerate on their own, since the wells, roads and pipelines need clear pads and corridors.  The Marcellus play is likely to run 30 years, with other shale horizons yet to be explored and exploited.  At this point I hold little hope for the trout and birds over the next century.

Nancy L. Herbert

March 15, 2011, 6:02 p.m.

I am more than tired of gas drillers destroying the waters and the and the natural areas of our state. Many wells have been contaminated also and it seems they could care less as long as the money keeps rolling in for them. Meanwhile our state is being destroyed piece by piece. Get them out of here! NOW!

cindy

March 23, 2011, 5:47 p.m.

fracking water has been proven to destroy drinking water wells here in pa and in other states already. DEP, EPA, state officials contrinue to put their head in the sand because lobbyists from these industries have offered lots of money and undue influence.

CarmanK

April 2, 2011, 1:13 p.m.

It may just be that republicans cannot win with TRUTH, and that is why their propaganda machine spends so much time building the LIE. I am concerned about MD’s water supply. We are neighbors of PA and the contamination of water supplies will spread. We know how small the world is. After, all who would have expected the air pollution from Japan’s nuclear disaster to reach the East coast of the Us in less than 3 weeks. Also, notice in Congress they are gutting the EPA new rules on CLEAN AIR AND WATER. This does not bode well for the citizenry. Also, wonder how many dead americans will surpass acceptable “collateral damage” before the american public gets fed up and stops the 30 year race to the bottom???

Fracking

Fracking: Gas Drilling's Environmental Threat

The promise of abundant natural gas is colliding with fears about water contamination.