Lost to History: Missing War Records Complicate Benefit Claims by Iraq, Afghanistan Veterans
Field records from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, needed to document combat injuries, disability claims and the simple history of both wars, were never kept, were destroyed or simply cannot be found, a ProPublica-Seattle Times investigation has found.
U.S. Centcom and dozens of Army units destroyed or failed to keep field records documenting the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Latest Stories in this Project
- Army Says War Records Gap Is Real, Launches Recovery Effort
- Congressmen to Hagel: Where Are the Missing War Records?
- Veterans' Advocate to Congress: Reconstruct Missing War Records
- U.S. House Subcommittee Sets Hearing on Missing War Records
- Ask Peter Sleeth Anything about Missing Iraq, Afghanistan Field Records (Reddit Chat)