Rocky Road Ahead for DREAM Act

After failing to win comprehensive immigration reform, immigration proponents are now hoping to use the lame-duck session to snag an 11th-hour consolation prize: the DREAM Act.

Sort by: Oldest Newest  <  1 2 3 4 >

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:38 p.m.

kenny whether you or I like it or not by 2042 we will be the minority so embrace your mexican descendants that that is how you are going to look like do you have a problem with that?

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:39 p.m.

kenny in life you take what you understand….in this case English I can assure you spelling mistakes donot get in the way of what i am telling you and who you are….......

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:41 p.m.

kenny asssuming you pay taxezs whatelse have yo done for your country anybodyelse does by inertia….probably nothing SO that is what and who you are…..I can assure you there are dreamm act students whiter and smarter than you whose descendants will do better for this land than yours…

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:42 p.m.

Jeff it is a plleasure to learn that we still have real americans like yourself in this blog

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:45 p.m.

you are right I am not educated I did not even graduate from high school but I know a lot of hooked up people and I got a job at 17 working for the elevator construction union in ny city we are the highest paid union in ny I make 63.80an hour get all the over time i want and also get 14.60 paid into my annuity I have a house 2cars a motorcycle and a sweet boat I keep in city island I also im here leagley and am an american and I love my life and dont want to pay for there children to go to school just wait till the new congress comes into there term it will be the beginning of the end for the illegals in this country

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:53 p.m.

OK Kenny so then you are at risk…........BUT NOT from these students or the illegal people that is barely 5% of the population. Your main enemy is what will the future bring to your pension….........I understand you will have a hefty one that will depend on tax payers…..as it stands.. the demographics will not hold to maintain your payments whe you are old…..so it means immigrants is the answer like it has alwyas been. Europe has also realized about this. Provided you “own” what you have and not have overspend your life on it…...that is why this place has been “the Place” because people like yourself made this country as well and had or have in you case the ability to have a good life regardless of education…don;t get me wrong….you don;t need an edcation to be successful and enjoy life deeper…..but you need now to educate yourself on HOW you will survive…....SO the main issue here is the deficit, and the financial scums and of course manufacturing going overseas…....now you see the illegals are just a game for the politicians to play the dirty tricks…..as Rooselvet said I believe, Immigration is too important to leave it to the policians…..........think about it….

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:56 p.m.

american I agree with half of the stuff you said

Harsh Jhaveri

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:56 p.m.

Considering this country’s basis is on immigration, contradicts every single point raised by every person who defers from supporting the DREAM ACT. This legislation supports students who should have equal opportunity as any others, regardless of creed, color, sex, and… immigration status. It is very petty and cowardly to suggest that passing this legislation would hamper current American students who are citizens. This country is COMPLETELY an immigrant nation, lets be real and not run from the truth. People are quick to stand up for their heritage and share their stories about how and under what circumstances their grandparents came to this country. The issue with the DREAM ACT is not to resolve the nationwide immigration issue, but to give an equal opportunity to students who have the right to an education. And, if not after 11 million people that have reached this country and are considered illegal, how many more millions of people would it take to satisfy the minds of law makers and the American people in order to “fix” this “situations”?... saying it would be expensive to fix is ludacris because does anyone really logically think its going to become cheaper to fix when this country witnesses millions of more immigrants? I don’t think so. This country will never close doors to immigrants coming into this country because for the most part they are the skilled workers and do the jobs no one else wants to do. So do you really think its going to get any cheaper?!... NO. Its now or never!

Dirk

Nov. 18, 2010, 2:57 p.m.

If the opposition to the dream act is based on economics, you are sorely mistaken.  A college educated kid goes on to pay far more in taxes than he or she ever collects in benefits.  These are the people we want - college educated people.  These are the people we need - college educated people.  I would give a green card to every damned college graduate and I don’t care what country they are from.  If you want a stronger economy get these kids in college and then tax them when they produce.

Sam Inverson

Nov. 18, 2010, 3 p.m.

If you saw a VERY HUNGRY CHILD crying for a piece of bread and begging YOU to help would you not help ??

If YOUR FATHER did something wrong many years ago should YOU go to jail for that thing ??

SO then these kids are in the same situation. They came to USA when they were very young and had nothing to do with staying here without documents.

Please have MERCY on these kids.
I know NONE of you are evil.

Many are upset about illegal immigration but over 90 percent of these illegal people have come to USA only for a better life and because THEY HAD NO OTHER PLACE TO GO.

In our lives SO many times you and I have to go on our knees in prayer to God and ask for help and we go to God because WE HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO !!!

Out of MERCY and COMPASSION only God helps us.

So let us be COMPASSIONATE when these kids who are now grown up need our help.

Jesus said ” Let him who has never done anything wrong throw the first stone” at the woman who was going to be stoned to death.

God blesses America because WE ARE COMPASSIONATE.

We help people with our hearts.

Sam Ina

Tom

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:02 p.m.

Frank, the heck with political correctness, Illegal is illegal. If their parents crossed the border illegally and brought them along, they are here ILLEGALLY.
AS a parent, I feel for them and the circumstances their parents may have subjected them to by bringing them here ILLEGALLY. As an AMERICAN PARENT, my kids should and will come first but this liberal mentality wants to use my tax dollars to put a non-citizen child ahead of mine… Thats BS!

Left wing rhetoric always plays the card.. but they came here to better improve their lives and the lives of their children… Well my response is for them to fix their problems in THEIR country of orgin instead of creating problems in ours.

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:12 p.m.

SAM what a pussy you are you sound like you sit around all day crying this is America the greatest country ever we are strong we are not cry babies now take your mambepamby ass back tp your mommy

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

Tom and Kenny the problem was created by the people why? because once the gov eneacted the law back in 1986 the people was supposed to back it up and it never happened. Also, we failed to maintained and improved immigration as for many other issues in a congresional session basis…we have let all this go to where it is now. The american way is to fix a situation for the well being of the country and the best for everybody and the future to come…............that is…give an opportunity to whoever can improve this place and move on…..but everybody seems to be so personal as to what they think it should happen as to what ought to be done…....the law was created to be upheld but the law does not change as life does and it adapts as it will will never do…...SO we the people are suppossed to take responsibility and modify the laws accordingly for the best future it can bring to us and descendants but unfortunately the case is that we are no better that the 3rd world countries after all we are greedy and careless

Jeff

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

Tom, I understand the sentiment in your last paragraph, but consider this…
NAFTA ruined agricultural markets in Mexico by bringing government-subsidized, cheap corn from the U.S. As a result, already-poor people had to find another way to earn a living. American companies capitalized on the cheap labor just across our southern border, bringing many of them north to work. Then, those same companies found cheaper labor in China, and moved again, leaving them once again with no work and fewer options.

I agree that the Mexican government is, at best, severely flawed. But you can’t ignore the part our government played in this. Just look at the headlines today, and you’ll see the corruption of our own government (our ‘leaders’ giving Rangel a slap on the wrist to offenses for which you and I would go to jail).

Dreamer

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:24 p.m.

My husband of 6 years, (been together for 8) is an undocumented alien. He was brought here at 3 months of age. He didn’t even know he was here illegally until he was in high school. He speaks better English than Spanish, desires to go to college and be a basketball coach and get this… AN AMERICAN HISTORY teacher, but sadly, we can’t afford it while I’m in college. Together, we have 3 beautiful children who mean the WORLD to us. I pray pray pray this Dream Act passes, because he works so hard to take care of his family and is held back because of our selfish ways. I’m not here to argue with anyone, but I do want people to understand that undocumented aliens are people too. They Love, laugh, and want the best life possibe, for them and especially their children and America is where its at!!!

Angeles Godinez

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:26 p.m.

I don’t see why you people are trying to impress each other with math problems and big words…

‘Simply put: If there are no ‘jobs’ for the current American citizens, there will be no jobs for those who will be given green cards thanks to the DREAM act…so there is no need to worry.
(Even though there are plenty of openings at a lot of locations; people just have to get out there and look)

And as far as school goes, I’m pretty sure any college would be glad to accept anyone as long as they find a way to pay for it, even if it means having to take out loans, while watching citizens receive financial aid without having to pay it back.

camilo

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:28 p.m.

To everyone here: put your selfs in the shoes of who you are talking to, that might help a little. May God and wise man help us resolve this the right way. with out harming any american citizens lives, I understand their fear. Some of us undocumented people just want to have a peaceful life, help this society grow and make America an even better place to live than what it is right now. (This is been my country for the last 12 years and I wouldn’t want to leave HOME.)

(22 year old, undocumented college student)

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:30 p.m.

Angeles Godinez it is clear your genes are not american…an american never quits….if you give up go back to your mother land,,,,,here in the US we don;t quit and work hard AND we donot make excuses like the politicians to ignore problems and let these families keep on suffering….we americans move forward even at tought times REMEMBER THAT!

Jeff

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:31 p.m.

By the way, I apologize, Kenny. Places like this are great to discuss important matters, but personal attacks just make it bad for everyone. I should have left out the spelling comment.

Lietuvaite

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:31 p.m.

i am currenty a high school graduate, who was brought here by my parents when i was in first grade. we have lived our lives, like Americans, parents paying their taxes for EVERY SINGLE YEAR that we have been here. and since i have turned 18 they have filled out a tax form for me as well. they are honest hardworking people of the Europen descent who just wanted and hoped for the same american dream that everyone over seas imagines it to be. My mother has her own cleaning service that she has managed for over 10 years and my father is a licensed electrician. I myself want to be a teacher and only do good in the country that i was raised in and feel responsible to contribute to.

we are not a special circumstance family. there are thousands upon thousands of cases like mine. i would like to know what what the clearly anti-dream act population has to say about a situation like mine. should i be punished for wanting to make a fine future for myself? am i a less important human being compared to your American child? why is my education and drive to learn in this wonderful country of OURS so belittled? would you expect your child to be treated equally, be presented the same opportunities and have them fufill their dreams if they left this country and moved somewhere else? i would think so yes.

im not going to fight and try to defend the dream Act or any immigration reform. just wanted to take some time out of these heated arguments and show everybody the kind of people that are readind these aryicles, hoping for the best, and dreading the worst.

thank you.

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:32 p.m.

american you call America a lot of bad things greedy careless if this true why do these people want to come here any way we have great immigration laws just because anybody that wants to cant come in does not mean the law is broke its like me going to the bank and being told I cant have a loan because the paperwork is to much or what ever reason does that mean I can pull out a gun and get the money that way you have to follow the law like it our not

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

Camilo keep in mind you kind is probably one of the best things that ever happened to the US. You could have been on the streets causing problems but you chose to improve yourself…..keep it up…believe it will pay off…...hopefully we will benefit from it…by keeping you here legally…........I hope you will eventually earn what you hael already worked for,,,,,.

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

Camilo keep in mind your kind is probably one of the best things that ever happened to the US. You could have been on the streets causing problems but you chose to improve yourself…..keep it up…believe it will pay off…...hopefully we will benefit from it…by keeping you here legally…........I hope you will eventually earn what you hael already worked for,,,,,.

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:36 p.m.

kenny I called human beings greedy and careless…...which was inferred.by context in my last comment

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:37 p.m.

No kenny it is like the old west where banks will give you a loan for 40% interest in a week’s deadline…..........so we did to these people and now they r here….

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:39 p.m.

ok jeff i apreackeet your apoligiley

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

american what the hell are you trying to say it makes no sense I really mean this I ain’t kidding are you ok

Ben

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:47 p.m.

@Kenny…I’ve been reading your comments and i really think you should turn on your spell check. Yes i was born here before you get the thought that i’m insulting you..

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:50 p.m.

kenny I was talking in a methaphoric manner that is a comparison. I meant the good illegals were used to create wealth here…...........HA! you crack me up Kenny

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:55 p.m.

american I think you mean the good illegals are good at growing what ever it is that you are smoking——-can you send me some

Ben

Nov. 18, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

I swear to god that kenny doesn’t make $63.80 an hour with the way he spells and doesn’t know how to put a period to end a sentence

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:01 p.m.

Kenny you are a good citizen and it is good to know that it appears you are of good nature. That is probably the best quality in person no university degree can get…...

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:03 p.m.

kenny there it goes one fact…..........2 million agriculture employees,  25% are legal, 75% illegal…....nobody else shows up for the job….the gov gives only 5,000 visas per year…...that means we throw them out and then we pay premium for these produce from elsewhere and we become more dependent on foreign countries what do you suggest we should do?

Carl Klein

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:05 p.m.

Frank:
Illegal is a perfectly accurate term, you choose your words, I’ll choose mine. Please don’t think you can tell others what to say.

As far as there only being 2 million illegals who would get a green card out of this ridiculous bill, I sincerely doubt it. There are 10 - 30 million illegals in this county and given forged documents are nothing new to them, any if not all of them, and more who are not even here yet, will take advantage. Just look at what happend with previous amnesties. Read for goodness sake. Wikipedia is a good source.

All one has to do for Dream Act conditional green cards is to say that they have been here for the appropriate amount of time and have a GED. A legitimate GED costs $100 and it is an easy test. Anybody can pass. Read the bill for goodness sake, it’s online. Don’t just read news articles.

And stop insulting the intelligence of American citizens. This is a sneaky amnesty for as many as 50 million illegals, a small minority of whom would probably be students, as you say. That is why it is sneaky.

This is my humble opinion. Call me any rotten name you like, that is how I see it.

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:06 p.m.

2 million
25%—-> 500,000 people legal
75%—->1.5 million people ilegal

5,000 visas per year

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

ben I know I dont deserve it but thats what the union pays I work for Otis and thank god for spell check if I knew they were going to come out with spell check and catulators I would of left school in the second grade

Ben

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

@The American…I hope Kenny doesnt say “Raise Taxes on the illegals”...

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:08 p.m.

kenny nobody has the right to tell you what and what you donot deserve it is nobody’s business…..........

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:09 p.m.

Ben that is a funny one…...

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:10 p.m.

Kenny it appears you have no solution. I am not trying to convince you on anything but I am just making you aware on what we are facing as a country….........

Cindy Anderson

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:12 p.m.

I think that Hispanics are counting their chickens before they hatch. They will only the majority in Anerica at some future date if American citizens are stupid enough to keep subsidizing illegal immigration and giving welfare to single mothers who are illegal aliens.

I think the tide is shifting.

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:13 p.m.

A solution would be give them a work permit and see how thorugh time can improve the situation to see if there is room to make this job more attractive to citizens and sor forth….the main and critical issue here is to have control of the system without making a negative impact and make the best oout of it…..

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:15 p.m.

Cindy Anderson educate yourself, hispanics are not the only ones here, indians, chinese, etc etc and they have 4+ children…we have 2 at most and the rest cats and dogs…......1630 families had 10 children and that is why congress looks like that and they r all related…I can assure you cats and dogs will npt be runign this country

Ben

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:16 p.m.

@Carl Klein..granted that many illegals use fake documents but what course of action would you take to get them all out??...i’m just curious.

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:18 p.m.

Ben the illegals are best compared to viruses…....you get better but the virus stays in this case I believe the result is the same that is your inmune system becomes stronger and so will we as a COUNTRY

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:19 p.m.

I acutely hire illegals when i need help with something I hired one yesterday late in the afternoon I felt sorry for him nobody picked him up all day he helped me get my boat out of the water for the winter we worked for 2hours I bought him dinner and paid him 100dollars

Edgar

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:21 p.m.

I keep on reading the same ignorant comment over and over so i thought i would address it AGAIN- others have already addressed it.

“I don’t want MY tax dollars used up for an.”

1- Education is LARGELY funded by sales taxes. 100% of undocumented immigrants pay sales taxes.

2- Over 70% of undocumented immigrants pay income taxes using ITINs.

3- An estimated $8 billion is paid to Social Security EVERY SINGLE year by undocumented immigrants.

SO STOP YOUR STUPID AND IGNORANT COMMENTS. Especially if they have been addressed before. IT makes you seem like an ignorant and xenophobic jerk.BUT if you want to keep up the same foolish comment then I suggest you send a check back to the SS administration and ask them to return the money to the illegal who paid it.

Edgar

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:24 p.m.

TO REPEAT:

THE DREAM ACT DOES NOT ALLOW BENEFICIARIES TO APPLY FOR FEDERAL AID. ONLY LOANS WHICH MUST BE PAID IN FULL WITH INTEREST. The bill DOES NOT suggest that they will be granted in state tuition either. SO stop spewing ignorant venom. Stupidity is contagious.

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:27 p.m.

kenny you are a better man than I have seen most of my life in the corporate world…...........

kenny

Nov. 18, 2010, 4:30 p.m.

if you want to be an american you have to do it the right way the legal way even if it is tough all things worthwhile are tough and how is teaching your children to only follow the laws you like teach them to be a good citizen