The Expendables: How the Temps Who Power Corporate Giants Are Getting Crushed

America is now dotted with “temp towns” – places where it’s difficult to find blue-collar work except through a temp agency and where workers often suffer lost wages, no benefits and high injury rates.

ALP

July 3, 2013, 2:33 p.m.

Interesting article.  I do take issue with this:

“And even though the agency, Staffing Network, is her legal employer, she is not paid until she gets to the assembly line at 6 a.m.”

I have years of well-paid (hourly) para-professional work under my belt - not ONCE did I get paid during my long commutes, up to 3 hours per day. This is standard. The clock starts when you GET to work.  An hour long commute is common for many professionals in our region.  Tricks like this, pointing to non-existent problems in an effort to create an even heavier mood in the article, make me cynical about the rest of it.  If the writer exaggerates once, how many more times have they stretched the truth in the article?

Here is a fact to throw out there: a friend of mine does this kind of temp work.  She could not be farther from the “Rosa” profiled her.  This person has TWO bachelor’s degrees, one in business and one in architecture - yet blue collar temp work is all she can find.  And she’s a hard worker.  So to the “Rosas” out there, look out.  Degreed US born Americans are coming for YOUR temp job!

Kyle

July 3, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

Fred Z, what color is the sky in your world?  People have been illegally immigrating to the US since the country began.  Have you ever even opened a history book???

Immigration has nothing to do with the temp/slavery situation.  It has everything to do with increasing corporate profits.  How long do you want to believe the lies of the right?  “Oh, once you give the rich all these tax breaks, employment will pick right up!”  All four years of Bush’s presidency had dismal employment figures.  “if the government would just get out of the way and let business do things it’s own way, everything would be fine.”  I triple dare you to name an industry that hasn’t cut corners, endangered the health and welfare of its citizens/employees at every turn.  And guess what?  Germany, which is far more regulated than the US seems to be doing just fine.  As does Holland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Austria, and France to a certain extent (their educational system is superior to ours, as is their healthcare, infrastructure, food safety and I could go on.)

There is no reason on Earth that the US is not in the top five for quality of life, but for greed.  The distance between the haves and the have-nots is reaching a tipping point, where it becomes insurmountable.  At that point, the poor will eat the rich, just like they have throughout the history of mankind.  The saddest part is enlightened people know this, and buffoons like you only know as far as yesterdays talking points on some talk radio show, what Fox said yesterday.

Pull your head out of the sand Fred.  Your republican friends would like to bury you a little more.

Fred Z

July 3, 2013, 9:07 p.m.

Kyle, your rant has little to do with my comment.

Illegal immigration has been actively assisted and pushed by the left in the last 30 years, and it has damaged work prospects for native born Americans. That is the fact that you cannot evade and all your blather about Bush McChimpy Halliburton evil corporations blah blah won’t change it.

The only thing we can possibly agree on is that crony capitalists are evil and have conspired to allow illegal immigration. Do not even think of calling these evil people conservative. They are simply treacherous thieves who might claim to be conservative, but are not. Your problem is that the crony capitalists conspired with the left far more than the right. You got suckered by the sharpies, and even to this moment are too dumb to understand or accept your folly.

And I’m not Republican, I’m not even American. I sit up here in Canada watching your foolishness very carefully because if your economy suffers, we get hurt, badly hurt. From our perspective as a mouse in the same bed as an elephant, you lot are so ignorant about your own country as to be dangerous. We see a whole country full of low information voters. What the hell happened to you people?

Dave

July 3, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

Dear Congress,

Please grant amnesty to all illegal immigrants while making only a token effort to secure the borders.  Our industry depends on workers who are cheap, flexible, hard-working, reliable, and obedient.  As their numbers increase, their wages will fall, and we promise to contribute 20% of the resulting profits to charity. (Just kidding!!  We’ll contribute it to your re-election fund.)

Your truly,
the temporary employment industry

ibsteve2u

July 4, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

To “rh”, who said on the 1st of July, 2013 at 17:02 hours:

M&M/Mars was notorious for this. They would hire people for the maximum part-time hours, then can them for the rest of the year, then rehire them come January.  They were caught though, and in the future, are being checked.

Would like to see you document your allegations.  I have personally been in half a dozen or so M&M/Mars plants, and it is my experience that they hire temporary workers only to fill positions that are themselves temporary - that is, positions requiring manual labor that will be eliminated just as soon as an engineer with something on the ball figures out a way to automate that slot.

Further, it was my experience that M&M/Mars dealt with temporary agencies that managed the hours/length of employment/wages and/or salaries of their temps themselves; Mars had no say in that employee’s retention other than retaining the right to demand a replacement if that worker caused/originated disciplinary, quality, productivity, or safety issues.

That is, the transaction was of the sort “We, Mars, need (N) workers for an indeterminate amount of time, for which we will pay your agency (X) dollars an hour.”  That temp agency would then pay the worker (X - G) dollars an hour (where G represents the greed of the temp agency).

That, again, was my experience with Mars - so your provision of evidence supporting your allegations would seem to be necessary if you don’t wish ProPublica’s global readership to conclude that you’re…blowing smoke up their [insert common name used for Equus africanus asinus/synonym of donkey here].

Kyle

July 7, 2013, 3:14 a.m.

Actually Fred Z., I addressed quite a bit of your rant.  The fact you are from Canada neither makes you more intelligent any more than it allows you to understand that “the right” in the USA doesn’t mean the same thing as “the right” in Canada.

Seeing that you have such skewed idea of what the right is in the USA, would normally lead me to doubt that any attempt to enlighten you about US politics would be words wasted.  But I’ll attempt to educate you a little about labor history in America, and in the process, maybe a bit about our constitution

The left has never pushed for relaxing, increasing, or opening immigration.  If you find some historical document that says otherwise, its most likely a forgery.  The left has always been pro-labor (which means pro-union down here, I have no idea what it means in Canada), to push for increasing immigration would be suicide.  But the left AND labor has recognized throughout the history of this country, if labor isn’t organized, it will be mistreated.  The attempts to unionize LEGAL immigrants, and also force the country to recognize that their rights are no less than someone who came over with the Pilgrims, HAS been a focus of the left, and for more than thirty years.  Maybe your understanding of history doesn’t go back that far.  The left’s efforts for this have not required new federal amendments, simply because OUR ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION guaranteed these rights.  And when business (generally regarded as “the right” down here) has attempted to deny those rights, OR break labor laws, the left has traditionally won those court battles.  Because the law was on their side.

We are a nation of immigrants.  Canada is not.  Never has been.  And with the way immigrants are treated up there, most likely never will be.
They don’t call it the Great White North for nothing.

Frank

July 7, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

It stands to reason if you are going to pay people $20 million per year, that there will be less for everyone else. See ya at the revolution.

tim

July 8, 2013, 12:18 a.m.

You know where this will eventually go, and history will repeat itself. I’d best dust off my black suit, lot of corporate funerals to go to Pity that the elites never learn they are out numbered by the angry masses until it’s too late. Maybe they need to read a bit more. Again it’s a pity, hope myself or my boy won’t see the great culling in our lifetimes.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

Linda, you give yourself away when you claim to be an “ABA certified paralegal”.  The American Bar Association does not certify paralegals, any more than it certifies paralegal courses.  Check your facts.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 8:48 a.m.

Frank & tim, yeah nobody I know wants to be around for that one.  But, it is the overriding flaw of the human condition-a failure to learn from history.

Linda Rider

July 8, 2013, 9:42 a.m.

Kyle,
Do you actually know anything about the legal industry.  I was not referring to the fact that the certification is ABA, I was identifying the level of law school the certification is from.  There are very few Paralegal Certification programs provided by “ABA” law schools. An undergraduate degree is mandatory.  Many paralegals do NOT have this type of education.

Is this the only bone you could find to pick.  You obviously do NOT work in law, because most attorneys and many employers seeking higher level paralegals require this specific education requirement.  Many paralegals are from technical schools with only H.S. education levels.

Kyle, also the “left” does not want the “guest” worker provisions in the Immigration Bill-that is “Corporate” lobbyists requirements.  If all guest workers are required to be paid minimum wage and corporations were heavily fined anytime they are found to have employed “illegals” you would not need border patrol or any special Immigration Bill unless there are new requirements for the current immigration policy.  This would also raise the U.S. wage rate and decrease unemployment.  Corps are serving only shareholders and no one else, and they legally have no other obligation which is why regulations are needed because Corps will violate all employees rights, pay them as little as possible and hold their HCI hostage in order to retain enough workers.  There is some actual history for you.

What do you do for a living Kyle?  Have you worked for a lot of major corporations?  Are you a Corp defense atty?  Just curious as to how your perspective was acquired.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

Yeah, I’d be interested to know what sort of mail order law school you know of that ALSO provides paralegal education.  I know of none.  At least no serious law schools.
As far as my law background, since you want to make this a pissing match, I’ve been a paralegal over 18 years.  Granted, I haven’t worked at dozens of law firms (in case you didn’t know, that would be a negative thing to have on your resume) but I have worked with some of the best.
And not that familial experience has a thing to do with my own personal capabilities, but my father is a Harvard law graduate and the most senior partner in the oldest law firm in the Twin Cities.  He has a long history in civil rights work.  My brother graduated as well from Harvard magna cum laude, has done work with the Southern Poverty Law Institute, defended a death row case, and practices law at a major firm.  Most of my work now focuses on ESI.  And I have worked both sides of the table in Labor and Employment law.  I have worked in international corporate arbitration, worked with defending clients from the litigious Church of Scientology.

I don’t recall saying anything about guest workers.  To my understanding the left is against it.  Such a stance would be highly contrary to support of unions (which is a good thing.)

Linda Rider

July 8, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

Kyle,
I obtained my Paralegal Certification from Capital University Law School.  Feel free to check it out.  There are only a handful of law schools that have this type of program.  CULS has been offering their program for almost 20 years. Additionally, OSBA also provided testing for certification for other types of paralegals who did not go to CULS.

I have worked with other “paralegals” who are not from CULS.  I can assure you that they are NOT as proficient.  Some of the other CULS CPs also have had MBAs and other levels of education.

I find it odd that you are so contentious about my education.  I work in corporate settings typically, even though I have worked in law firm litigation support.  I do not need to relate my parents’ education level.  Not relevant to anything.

Kyle, this is my last response back to you-I have more important things on my plate-here is a clue-you may hear about me, not from me, in the future.

XSANDIEGOCA

July 8, 2013, 12:30 p.m.

150 years after the Civil War, Slavery has returned in full force.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

Capitol University Law School - read: The worst of the fourth tier law schools in Ohio.

“I typically work in corporate settinge” - read: I temp

“I have worked in law firm litigation support” - read: Sometimes I temp as a paralegal.

I can see how you hate the whole temp thing.  If you had read any of my posts, you would have seen that I reviled it as well.  Good luck with your chosen career.  It is difficult to hook on to a law firm paralegal position.  I consider myself somewhat lucky.  And have enjoyed immensely working with all sorts of lawyers, with all sorts of political outlooks.

Also, take the chip off your shoulder.  That’s what brought about my first response to you.

Linda Rider

July 8, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Kyle,
If you have this much time to post to my comments, you apparently are not too happy with whatever it is you are doing.

I am a socialist because unbridled capitalism is a colossal failure.  Corporations have a disdain for legal oversight or opinion, hence, their outsourcing and offshoring for pennies on the dollar.

You seem to have a discomfort for paralegals who may be formally educated and maybe you are not.  Since you are less than forthcoming that I am about who I am and conveys to me that you have something to hide or fear.

Again, I will give you a clue-you may hear about me soon, maybe in the media.  I don’t have a chip on my shoulder dear Kyle, just clear vision.  You seem conflicted.  Good luck with that.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

You respond like a Scientologist.  Always on the attack.

At any rate, socialist, capitalist, communist are just labels.  And if a label makes you feel better about yourself, great.  You clearly are of the belief that your political choices are of a higher order.  Good for you.

And my only discomfort with you has been the pretension that because you went to a joke of a law school’s paralegal program, and have done some temping as a paralegal makes you some sort of expert.  When nothing could be further from the truth.
Good day.

dan1

July 8, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

There is a large difference between day labor (which is what is described in this article) and a temp to perm situation.  I have owned my agency since 1998.  We don’t utilize vans, and we don’t have a dispatcher sending people out.  No one meets at the office in the morning.

Our associates are offered health insurance, it’s not the greatest but it covers a few visits a year and all major catastrophic events.  They are awarded vacation after a year, only one week but still more than a lot of agencies.  Our associates know exactly where they are going (getting to work is their responsibility), who they are reporting to, and how much they will earn per hour.

This article is extremely one sided.

ibsteve2u

July 8, 2013, 2:42 p.m.

@dan1

I would note that Our associates are offered health insurance, it’s not the greatest but it covers a few visits a year and all major catastrophic events doesn’t indicate the premium price and, more importantly, doesn’t indicate the price-vs.-average wage you pay to your “associates”.

It is one thing to assert that you “offer” affordable health insurance…and quite another to “offer” health insurance whose premiums as a percentage of wages paid come in at a price that is so high that the “associate” can choose to pay that premium or eat and pay rent - but not both.

I would further note that your effort to publicize the fact that your temp agency isn’t as bad as most temp agencies tends to reinforce this article’s conclusions.

Armando

July 8, 2013, 2:44 p.m.

So what exactly is the solution?
1. Making these Temp jobs illegal and putting Rosa and her pals on he dole at taxpayer expense?
2. Shipping them back where they came from since they never should have been allowed in the country in the first place?
3. Force “greedy” companies to pay them above market salaries?
Number 3 won’t work - if the cost of an employee goes up they will simply be fired, replaced by machinery, or the job will be sent offshore.  So pick - it’s either number 1 or number 2!!!

ibsteve2u

July 8, 2013, 4:22 p.m.

“Amando” does a good job of putting the reasons why Corporate America and the Republicans and neoliberal Democrats that Corporate America owns supported inequitable “free trade” on display.

Those nations that rig their currency exchange rates to give “labor” in their countries competitive primacy vs. the United States provide Corporate America with a stick which can be - and is - used to beat the American people…to make “if the cost of an employee goes up they will simply be fired, <strike>replaced by machinery</strike>, or the job will be sent offshore.” the reality.

I’d note that sending America’s jobs offshore is the preferred method given that automation costs money that could be going into the pockets of the parasites in America’s executive suites.

Further, sending jobs offshore and/or luring illegal immigrants/H-1B visa holders into America to work for substandard wages brings downward pressure to bear on the wages and salaries of the American people…creating what the right/Corporate America (they are virtually synonymous) calls “a friendly labor market”.

Those who offer up and/or carry out threats of such punitive actions truly do not care about the American people, America’s economy, or the safety and security of these United States as witnessed by the fact that destroying America’s industrial infrastructure - any nation’s true arsenal and war reserve - with offshoring in order to further enrich themselves means absolutely nothing to them.

cj davis

July 8, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

This isn’t a story about temps, it’s a story about immigrant laborers who are often here illegally. In other words, they’re stealing from Americans.

The conditions of the temp workers—and other unskilled laborers—would not be so poor, and wages would not be so low, if the economy found other solutions than to bump the labor pool of desperate folks by allowing foreigners to come here at will!

The people you talk about are not even Americans.

Kyle

July 8, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

cj davis: Your email is so ignorant that I question whether you even received an education in the USA (home schooling doesn’t count).  First off, anyone born on either of the two continents comprising America is “American”.  And your assumption that it’s about illegal immigrants (which it isn’t) must come from the fact that you read the first paragraph and assumed someone with a name like Rosa Martinez must be an illegal immigrant.  Guess what cj.  You come from immigrants.  And for all we know, they might have been illegal as well.  And nowhere in the article does it tell us that Rosa is an immigrant.  And the majority of unskilled jobs in this country are not temp positions.  That’s why corporate america is fighting their forming unions.  (little hint for you-temps don’t form unions).

Read the whole article and then see if you make a statement that makes any sense.  Otherwise, take your second grade reading skills elsewhere.

Patrice

July 9, 2013, 7:07 p.m.

Linda Rider knows what she’s talking about. I spent 22 years in Human Resources leadership positions in the greater GRAND RAPIDS, MI area and everything in this article is true. Employers are simply using Obamacare (and every other law passed to help or protect employees) as an excuse for their excessive use and unfair treatment of temporary labor. Because I helped draft the policies for use of temps, the company’s I worked for did not hire temp labor unless we had identified an open and available position, and we were only allowed to utilize temp’s for 3 months; if they couldn’t do the job or had attendance issues, they were out - if they did well, they would be offered the job. We also used temp firms who gave their employee’s benefits, and if we hired them, there was no waiting period for benefits. While they were temps, they were paid for holidays off just as our own employees were.  I can say that most of the employers in my part of the country, the employers that hired the largest numbers of temp employees, never hired them, and didn’t really care what happened to them.

jamiejean

July 10, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

This article was extremely one-sided and seemed to focus more on the plight of immigrants - illegal or otherwise.  There are a handful of temp companies that require employees to meet at the office in early hours and get transported by vans.  The vast majority do not.  Oddly, some employees actually wish transportation was provided and see saving the gas money and trouble as a benefit.  Choice would be best.

Many firms offer health insurance that is not deluxe but is VERY inexpensive.  Many also provide paid holidays and vacation just as a regular employer would.

In many parts of the country we are now experiencing a recruiting crunch - way more open jobs to fill than people willing to work.  That’s when the wages go up and benefits are enhanced.

Byard Pidgeon

July 11, 2013, 2:11 a.m.

For a period of several months circa ‘95-‘96, I was part of a temp group of tech writers in what was at the time the most profitable unit of Hewlett Packard. There were only temps in this group.
We were hired by an agency, which as I recall handled all of HP temp employment.
We were…at least that initial group…well paid, and had some medical benefits. For the most part, we were treated the same as regular HP employees.
However, during my tenure several of my group were dismissed, and their replacements hired at 2/3 the pay we were getting. Sometime later, another reshuffling and a new group, hired at 1/2 my wage. Near the 6 month mark, 2 of our group were hired by HP, and the rest dismissed.
We were told we could maintain registration with the agency, but that if rehired it would be at the lowest wage scale, or whatever wage was current at the time of hire.
During my time there, I spoke with many of the blue collar line workers, some of whom manufactured inkjet cartridges and others who worked in maintenance of the assembly line, which was in development and would be shipped to Indonesia when completed and tested.
The blue collar workers were paid 10 to 20 percent above minimum wage, with a medical benefit similar to mine. Many of them had worked there for several years, six months on and six months off, and very, very few had ever become HP employees.
Remember, this was HP’s most profitable business unit at the time, and the use of temps over long terms, six on and six off, was largely responsible for those profits that greatly benefitted HP managers and shareholders, but kept the majority of their workers in an endless cycle of dead end work and unemployment insurance.

Jarva

July 11, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

I missed the part in the article where it noted what kind of gun was pointed at each human to go to the temp service for work.  I also missed that many actually working in this society have evolved into expecting-something-for-nothing-entitled-lazy “workers”.  Most people don’t lose their job - they crap all over it, don’t show up, show up but have a horrific work ethic, want $40 and hour to sort red and yellow straws.

Linda Rider

July 11, 2013, 3:34 p.m.

Jarva,
You clearly have no real life experience in the arena.  I am a well educated and experienced legal professional-I can assure you that the other legal professionals and myself are NOT counting straws.  I have emails from the management of a global bank that threatens they CAN outsource and OFFSHORE the work I am doing.  Most of America has NO idea of the high number of guest workers from India, the high volume of work that is being outsourced out of the country for very low cost.  Much of the work product is worth just what is being paid.  It is not just done to cut cost but to evade compliance.  Workers in Mumbai are not likely to question issues, even when it involves compliance.

Jarva, secondly, there actually is a gun pointed at the heads of workers accepting temp jobs and it is call “Unemployment” either by denial of benefits for turning down work and if benefits are not due or exhausted, many temp workers never qualify for UE, and/or they need to take any job to take care of their families.  Also, keep in mind that more than likely, as in my case, these are single mothers with children to care for.  Unemployment rate is actually around 20% and is now hitting the suburbs very hard.

You are unbelievable!!!!!! Not in a good way!  Like many narcissists who think unemployment will never effect them, “contingent” workforce initiatives are on the increase;  you may be targeted eventually as the goal is to “TEMP” 70% of all jobs.  All that will be left will be very top tier management.  Something tells me that is NOT you.

Again, if it were ILLEGAL to employ GUEST WORKERS or ILLEGAL ALIENS there would be lower unemployment, higher wages for all workers and less need for border patrols, walls, all that create additional costs to taxpayers.  The employers are the ONLY ones benefitting from the current scenario.  What a surprise!

Byard Pidgeon

July 11, 2013, 4:12 p.m.

Folks, don’t bother arguing with anyone as adamantly wingnut as “Jarva”.
Mark Twain said something like “Never wrestle with a pig. You get filthy, and the pig enjoys it”.
The Jarvas of the world want only to stir up anger and cause argument, and their tactics are to confuse the issues with outrageous statements and outright lies.
Don’t fall for it.

Linda Rider

July 11, 2013, 6:18 p.m.

Byard,
Thank you for your defense, but I do think it is important to call these types out and make an example of them.  Hopefully, at some point, they tire of public humiliation. Many times, these folks are truly ignorant, until it happens to them, and then they would have you think this is now important.  They probably vote in their own disinterest.
Thanks again Byard.
Linda

Linda Rider

July 12, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

Kyle,
Seriously, get a life!  Take a look at my resume on LinkedIn-I have not only “temped” but what I am saying, this is mostly where “law” is going.

My point of mentioning education and experience is for the purpose of highlighting the fact that good permanent jobs have disappeared, even in the law industry.  I have no idea why you are so offended.  You are very defensive. I am surprised are picking at my comments simply because I have used my own experience as a point of reference or context.  Really, get over it.

How many law schools (ABA accredited) offer Paralegal Certifications in the United States Kyle?  Ohio State University Law School has none.  Capital University Law School is private and most employers in this area specifically require this type of education; BA or BS and additional Paralegal Certification such as CULS.  They do not typically hire “technical” school educated paralegals who are NOT college graduates.

Why don’t you share your resume with everyone since you seem to take issue with mine for no apparent reason.

My only point is:  If well experienced and educated, over forty people cannot secure permanent well paying jobs, and are actually losing them everyday, then what hope is there for other tiers of potential employees.  The “TEMP” agency industry has sold a real bill of goods to employers, that it minimizes legal issues and decreases costs of permanent hiring the same employee.  This is a falsehood.  The cost is the same if not more due to the agency cut of 20-30% of gross, and opens the employer to “different” legal issues, such as issues involving retaining a temp beyond a year, which is hardly temporary.  There is IRS consequences and precedent in place that could “cost” the employer.  There is also other consequences to hiring contractors to do sensitive work, just ask Deloitte how that worked out for them relative to the “Independent Foreclosure Reviews.”

Again, Kyle. get a life or get honest.  You seem to have a chip on your shoulder when a women identifies herself as educated and well experienced.  You are a piece of work!  Stick to the subject!

ibsteve2u

July 12, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Amusing, the number of comments which fail to use words like “fair”, “equitable”, “loyalty” and so on but instead claim a right to be petty tyrants in a feudalistic Corporate society.

That’s what happens when you get a “friendly labor market” because the neoliberal Democrats teamed up with the Republicans to sell the “American Dream” out and betray America herself.

Kyle

July 12, 2013, 6:31 p.m.

Linda: My firm has offices in Columbus and Cleveland.  They’ve never heard of this “highly touted” paralegal program, much less Capital University Law School.  My brother’s firm is one of the largest, if not the largest in Ohio.  Same there.  I don’t have anything to be defensive about, and if your reading comprehension is up to snuff, I think you would be hard pressed to find a “defensive” statement in ANY of my posts on this article.  And if you’ve been paying attention, not all my posts have been to you.  Good luck hooking up with a firm.

But I will commend you for your comments in paragraph 5, although I think your % of the agency’s take is a little high.  Either way, temps ARE more expensive in the long run.  Generally I’ve only employed temps where the discovery project is too large, but even then I find too much of my time spent training, answering the arcane questions that can come up when dealing with privilege, as well as just the day to day managing.  What ends up suffering is my administration of the matter.  The problem is that you don’t too often get cases dealing with terabytes, which would require throwing a lot of bodies at.  Plus litigation software, especially with the growing acceptance of predictive coding, is replacing the need for hiring a 30 temps to deal with a large case.

MY point is that none of this has ANYTHING to do with Obamacare.  The alrming rise in the use of temps began in the early 90’s, long before anyone even knew who the President was.  Plus, the Affordable Care Act (you can’t really call it Obamacare affects such a small % of employers (people that say otherwise are either lying or they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about), the changes won’t affect employers who already offer insurance, except in those states where their idiot governors have rejected expansion of medicare.  In those states, quality of care is going to go down for everyone, hospitals will be closing, and employers insurance rates WILL rise to some extent, as the pressure on emergency rooms grows.  Those are real facts, you can look them up, and the amazing thing is these governors KNOW this.

Jon

July 13, 2013, 6:52 a.m.

Re: immigration

I urge you to google “gumball immigration”.  Mr Beck presents a compelling case.  If you disagree with his numbers let us know.

Linda Rider

July 13, 2013, 10:41 a.m.

Kyle,
Thank you-now I understand!! You are trying to justify the “Temp” business-because your firm uses them.  Understand this also, the temps are driving down wage rates and salary rates of “permanent” employees.

Additionally, Kyle, I do not work in law firms.  I work in ONLY corporate settings.  Usually, in law firms, their staff, including attorneys are pigeon holed into very narrow job descriptions and seldom get to venture out of those.  Corporate settings are much more challenging and paralegals are given a broader set of responsibilities and many times are relied upon for guidance; that is why we are usually brought on board.

Unlike, what you may do, and who really knows what that is, I am challenged every time I take a temp engagement.  I seldom ever work with a paralegal who is not Certified and has a undergraduate degree, and if your firm does not use the same, you may want to look at the position requirements for most Ohio paralegals or in other parts of the country.  Cleveland is hardly the center of the universe.  Your firm may be using other lesser qualified paralegals, because they are CHEAP.

I also doubt that you work for a “Plaintiff” firm and most likely work in corporate defense for either the insurance industry or some other industry that regularly is fighting litigation waged by “Plaintiff” firms.  I have worked in the insurance claim settlement area for a corporate entity that employs defense to fight plaintiff’s/insureds’ claims.  It is too bad we all have to fight the insurance companies that we pay premiums to only to have to hire plaintiff counsel to represent us to claim what has been contractually promised.  Those who do not hire a plaintiff attorney will be screwed over by the defense counsel.  Would that be your firm?  I knew if you divulged a bit more information, you true point of reference would be revealed.

You are PRO “Temp” hiring.  What is your firm paying an hour and what are their qualifications.  If your firm does not understand what Certified Paralegals are, why don’t you visit OSBA, they have a certification program as well.  If your firm is using paralegals other than from an ABA accredited program or OSBA, then you are hiring the bottom of the barrel and will get what you are paying for.  How lucky for your clients.

For your information, I have worked on OCC and DOJ compliance for corporate entities and the OCC specifically requested “Certified Paralegals” and the attorney from NY understood what that was and what type of qualifications they needed to request.  The NY attorney was a CULS graduate, as many Cleveland attorneys are.

AGAIN, Kyle, do you NOT have a formal education you are willing to tout.  As you may have guessed-one reason many corporate entities are more “picky” than some law firms is that they rely on CPs to be able to provide written analysis and to be able to effectively articulate to “non-law” staff the issues that are sometimes complex.  This requires a broader education and expertise that digging through a production of document request and indexing documents for exhibits, which I have done as well.

Unless you are willing to tell us all about your qualifications, quit talking about your dad’s or firm’s qualifications to justify using legal temps.  Your firm does not need CPs because they are hiring temps for purely “grunt” work.  CPs are really for firms that require higher level work; project management, statute research and analysis, document review, drafting, redlining and execution, while working with many different levels of corporate, agency and outside contact staff.  This requires staff that can present work product and image that will be high profile.  That does not sound like what is needed at your law firm.

Congratulations Kyle, you are working for your own demise.  How smart of you.

Ellison Lupo

July 21, 2013, 6:26 p.m.

I work for Chrysalis Enterprises (a Foundation) in Los Angeles, CA. Design to help the unemployerable homeless and transition them to a permenant job. However, in reality it’s nothing more then a temp agency that exploits those who are the downtrodden in society. Management on the contrary proliferates with incompantcy and greed by keeping its workers at a sub standard of liviable wage while they (management) live off the fruit of the laborers.

Mike Bradley

July 23, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

Here’s a tip. Temp agencies often claim that their workers are self-employed contractors and therefore do not earn benefits. The counter to that is to file a complaint with the IRS and state tax agencies that collect income tax and employee benefit taxes like unemployment and disability taxes. Those agencies are desperate to classify everyone as an employee because they collect more from employees than the self-employed. They are not constrained by corrupt labor laws that favor temp agencies, so they are more likely to be responsive.