Jennifer LaFleur on Recovery Tracker 3.0
When ProPublica first launched our Recovery Tracker last summer, it proved to be an important resource for journalists and others to use to find out how stimulus funds were being spent in their county or state. And because it was so popular, we updated the information in the Tracker each time new stimulus data became available. This week we published Recovery Tracker 3.0 -- the next generation in our effort to show where every dollar of the $787 billion Recovery Act is going.
Jennifer LaFleur is ProPublica's director of computer assisted reporting, and she's been the leading force in pulling all of this complicated information together. We talked to her about the new additions to Recovery Tracker, how she compiles and "tweaks" the data, why our information is more complete than the government's and what are the newest developments in computer-assisted reporting.
Articles discussed in this show:
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma