Podcast: Free the Files, a ProPublica Project Unlocking Political Ad Spending
With less than 40 days until the election, ProPublica has rebooted its Free the Files project in an effort to uncover who’s behind the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent on political TV ad buys, specifically in 33 swing markets across the U.S.
ProPublica senior engagement editor Amanda Zamora and reporter Justin Elliott join us on the podcast this week to explain how the app works, why we embarked on what has been called one of ProPublica’s “biggest and most advanced crowdsourced efforts ever done,” and how you can help us identify the outside groups influencing campaign 2012.
You can read more about the Free the Files project here, and help us unlock political ad spending on our rebooted (and quite addictive) news app. You can also listen to this podcast on iTunes and Stitcher.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments