Podcast: Inside the High-Cost Lending Industry
High-cost lenders have long offered payday and installment loans to those with bad credit as a quick way to get cash in an emergency without any questions or hassle. But with annual percentage rates that can exceed 400 percent, consumers can unknowingly get trapped in a cycle of debt.
Paul Kiel joins Steve Engelberg on the podcast this week to discuss his series investigating high-cost lenders, the difference between payday and installment loans, and how the industry has managed to survive in state after state despite attempts to ban these products.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?