Podcast: The Poison Beneath Us
In his new series, ProPublica's Abrahm Lustgarten has been investigating injection wells — disposal sites thousands of feet beneath the earth's surface — where industries ranging from agriculture to pharmaceuticals to gas drilling have been dumping their trillions of gallons of toxic waste.
Federal officials and geologists have long insisted that injection wells pose a minimal risk, but Abrahm's review of well records and case histories have found that structural problems are common and the EPA's oversight lax. He joins the podcast this week to explain why injection wells are a much bigger issue than fracking, the problems he faced with the EPA while reporting, as well as possible solutions to this growing problem.
Our Hottest Stories
- Big Investors Push for Auditors to Sign Financial Statements
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- New York City Will Pay $10 Million to Settle Wrongful Conviction Case
- More Data to Be Withheld from Database of Physician Payments
- In California, Some Efforts to Toughen Oversight of Assisted Living Falter