Podcast: The Poison Beneath Us
In his new series, ProPublica's Abrahm Lustgarten has been investigating injection wells — disposal sites thousands of feet beneath the earth's surface — where industries ranging from agriculture to pharmaceuticals to gas drilling have been dumping their trillions of gallons of toxic waste.
Federal officials and geologists have long insisted that injection wells pose a minimal risk, but Abrahm's review of well records and case histories have found that structural problems are common and the EPA's oversight lax. He joins the podcast this week to explain why injection wells are a much bigger issue than fracking, the problems he faced with the EPA while reporting, as well as possible solutions to this growing problem.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups