Taking a Close Look at BP and the Gulf Oil Spill
For this week's podcast, ProPublica reporter Sharona Coutts sat down with Abrahm Lustgarten to discuss BP and the oil spill caused by the deadly explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. They spoke on Wednesday, May 5, as the story was still unfolding.
The pair covered Lustgarten's reports about BP's history of safety problems, the congressional letter that was sent to BP executives expressing concerns about its practices, how cost-cutting and aging infrastructure figure into BP's problems and the impact the hazardous toxins in oil dispersants could have on the environment and the economy around the oil spill.
Stories discussed on this episode include:
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- MIA In The War On Cancer: Where Are The Low-Cost Treatments?
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research
- Meet the Doctor Who Gave $1 Million of His Own Money to Keep His Gun Research Going
- What Newly Released Docs Tell Us About the IRS and How It Handles Dark Money Groups