Taking a Close Look at BP and the Gulf Oil Spill
For this week's podcast, ProPublica reporter Sharona Coutts sat down with Abrahm Lustgarten to discuss BP and the oil spill caused by the deadly explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. They spoke on Wednesday, May 5, as the story was still unfolding.
The pair covered Lustgarten's reports about BP's history of safety problems, the congressional letter that was sent to BP executives expressing concerns about its practices, how cost-cutting and aging infrastructure figure into BP's problems and the impact the hazardous toxins in oil dispersants could have on the environment and the economy around the oil spill.
Stories discussed on this episode include:
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange