Taking a Close Look at BP and the Gulf Oil Spill
For this week's podcast, ProPublica reporter Sharona Coutts sat down with Abrahm Lustgarten to discuss BP and the oil spill caused by the deadly explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. They spoke on Wednesday, May 5, as the story was still unfolding.
The pair covered Lustgarten's reports about BP's history of safety problems, the congressional letter that was sent to BP executives expressing concerns about its practices, how cost-cutting and aging infrastructure figure into BP's problems and the impact the hazardous toxins in oil dispersants could have on the environment and the economy around the oil spill.
Stories discussed on this episode include:
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- U.S. Taxpayers Are Subsidizing Defense of Alleged Killers of Palestinian Teen
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Why Are Obstetricians Among the Top Billers for Group Psychotherapy in Illinois?
- Fanny Pack Mixup Unravels Massive Medicare Fraud Scheme
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- New York State to Pay Millions in Wrongful Conviction Case