Taking a Close Look at BP and the Gulf Oil Spill
For this week's podcast, ProPublica reporter Sharona Coutts sat down with Abrahm Lustgarten to discuss BP and the oil spill caused by the deadly explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. They spoke on Wednesday, May 5, as the story was still unfolding.
The pair covered Lustgarten's reports about BP's history of safety problems, the congressional letter that was sent to BP executives expressing concerns about its practices, how cost-cutting and aging infrastructure figure into BP's problems and the impact the hazardous toxins in oil dispersants could have on the environment and the economy around the oil spill.
Stories discussed on this episode include:
Our Hottest Stories
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back