David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
New York, NY – April 23, 2014 –ProPublica announced today that David Sleight, a longtime designer and developer, will join its staff as design director next month.
Sleight worked on some of the first web-based textbooks at Pearson Education, then went on to lead the interactive design team at BusinessWeek.com during two site overhauls. Since 2010, he’s consulted for numerous startups at his Brooklyn design shop, Stuntbox, specializing in user experience and responsive web design. He’s a regular columnist at A List Apart magazine and a member of Readability’s board of advisers.
“I’m incredibly excited to be joining the team at ProPublica,” Sleight said. “It’s one of the highest-caliber news organizations, doing journalism with real impact. I can’t wait to roll up my sleeves and start building new ways to present that work.
The design director role is a new one for ProPublica, which aims to heighten its attention to design as it expands.
“We went in search of a visionary who could give our important work the most creative and effective presentation,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor, “and we got that and so much more in David.”
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online news organization to win a Pulitzer Prize. In 2011, ProPublica won its second Pulitzer, the first ever awarded to a body of work that did not appear in print. In 2013, ProPublica won a Peabody Award. ProPublica is supported primarily by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own website and often to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article. For more information, please visit www.ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor