Jesse Eisinger Joins ProPublica’s Reporting Team
New York, NY (July 8, 2009)— ProPublica today announced that former Wall Street Journal and Portfolio columnist and reporter Jesse Eisinger will join its investigative newsroom as a senior reporter. With the addition of Eisinger, ProPublica’s reporting and editing team now grows to thirty-two people.
Eisinger was most recently the Wall Street editor of Conde Nast Portfolio, where he wrote a November 2007 cover story titled “Wall Street Requiem” in which he predicted the demise of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers. Before joining Portfolio, he worked at The Wall Street Journal where he was the founding writer of two market commentary columns, the weekly “Long & Short” and the daily “Ahead of the Tape,” and he played a leading role in exposing major fraud at Belgium-based Lernout & Hauspie. Eisinger will begin at ProPublica in early August.
“Jesse brings to ProPublica an outstanding record for investigative journalism, particularly on complex financial matters,” said ProPublica’s managing editor Stephen Engelberg. “We know he’ll bring some great stories to ProPublica and we’re very pleased to have him on board.”
During his tenure at the Wall Street Journal’s European edition, Eisinger won a “Best in Business” award from the London-based World Leadership Forum for his coverage of accounting irregularities at the Irish drug maker Elan Corp. Earlier in his career, he covered biotechnology and pharmaceuticals for TheStreet.com and Dow Jones Newswires. Eisinger lives in Brooklyn with his wife and fellow journalist Sarah Ellison and their baby daughter.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. With the largest news staff in American journalism devoted solely to investigative reporting, ProPublica is supported entirely by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own web site and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
For more information, please visit ProPublica.org
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor