ProPublica Adds Amanda Michel to Its Newsroom
New York, N.Y. (March 3, 2009)—ProPublica today announced that former HuffPost’s OffTheBus Director Amanda Michel will join its investigative newsroom. Michel will become ProPublica’s Editor of Distributed Reporting.
In her new position, Michel will initially use crowd sourcing and collaborative journalism methods to report on the impact of the federal stimulus bill. She will also help integrate these newsgathering techniques into ProPublica’s other investigative efforts.
Paul E. Steiger, ProPublica’s CEO and Editor-in-Chief, said, “Amanda will help us move our investigative journalism forward using approaches that were not possible just a few years ago.”
“I’m honored to be working with ProPublica’s phenomenal team of journalists,” said Ms. Michel. “The investigative journalism that drives ProPublica will strengthen the development of networked reporting.”
Prior to her work as the Director of OffTheBus, Michel helped launch NewAssignment.Net’s first project Assignment Zero, served as the Director of Communications at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, was a co-founder of the New Organizing Institute and worked in various media, organizing and strategic roles for political campaigns.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. With the largest news staff in American journalism devoted solely to investigative reporting, ProPublica is supported entirely by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own Web site and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
For more information, please visit ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- ProPublica to Take Over Several Sunlight Foundation Projects
- ProPublica to Co-Host NYC Premiere of “Finding Oscar” at DOC NYC Film Festival
- ProPublica Expands Its Data Sales Business, Announces New Partnerships With Investigative Reporters and Editors and New York Daily News
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)