ProPublica Adds Amanda Michel to Its Newsroom
New York, N.Y. (March 3, 2009)—ProPublica today announced that former HuffPost’s OffTheBus Director Amanda Michel will join its investigative newsroom. Michel will become ProPublica’s Editor of Distributed Reporting.
In her new position, Michel will initially use crowd sourcing and collaborative journalism methods to report on the impact of the federal stimulus bill. She will also help integrate these newsgathering techniques into ProPublica’s other investigative efforts.
Paul E. Steiger, ProPublica’s CEO and Editor-in-Chief, said, “Amanda will help us move our investigative journalism forward using approaches that were not possible just a few years ago.”
“I’m honored to be working with ProPublica’s phenomenal team of journalists,” said Ms. Michel. “The investigative journalism that drives ProPublica will strengthen the development of networked reporting.”
Prior to her work as the Director of OffTheBus, Michel helped launch NewAssignment.Net’s first project Assignment Zero, served as the Director of Communications at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, was a co-founder of the New Organizing Institute and worked in various media, organizing and strategic roles for political campaigns.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. With the largest news staff in American journalism devoted solely to investigative reporting, ProPublica is supported entirely by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own Web site and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
For more information, please visit ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists