ProPublica Hires New Reporter to Join Its Newsroom
New York, N.Y.—March 8, 2011—ProPublica announced today that reporter Marshall Allen, this year’s winner of the Goldsmith Award from Harvard’s Kennedy School, will join its investigative newsroom tomorrow. Allen is one of the leading health reporters in the country and has written extensively on the issue for the Las Vegas Sun. Last year, he led a groundbreaking series about preventable harm suffered by patients in Las Vegas hospitals that won the Goldsmith Award. His previous investigations led to an FBI investigation, indictment and guilty plea.
“Through fairness, accuracy and quality journalism, Marshall has earned the trust of the medical community as well as the respect of his peers. He’s garnered several awards for his reporting and we are excited to have him as part of our investigative team,” said ProPublica managing editor Stephen Engelberg.
Before working for the Las Vegas Sun, Allen was a staff writer at the Pasadena Star-News as well as the News-Press and Foothill Leader Newspapers. In 2010, Allen’s health care reporting was named the best in the country by the Association of Health Care Journalists.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online newsroom to win a Pulitzer Prize. ProPublica is supported by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own website and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Celeste LeCompte Named ProPublica’s Director of Business Development
- Annie Waldman to Cover Education for ProPublica