ProPublica Hires New Reporter to Join Its Newsroom
New York, N.Y.—March 8, 2011—ProPublica announced today that reporter Marshall Allen, this year’s winner of the Goldsmith Award from Harvard’s Kennedy School, will join its investigative newsroom tomorrow. Allen is one of the leading health reporters in the country and has written extensively on the issue for the Las Vegas Sun. Last year, he led a groundbreaking series about preventable harm suffered by patients in Las Vegas hospitals that won the Goldsmith Award. His previous investigations led to an FBI investigation, indictment and guilty plea.
“Through fairness, accuracy and quality journalism, Marshall has earned the trust of the medical community as well as the respect of his peers. He’s garnered several awards for his reporting and we are excited to have him as part of our investigative team,” said ProPublica managing editor Stephen Engelberg.
Before working for the Las Vegas Sun, Allen was a staff writer at the Pasadena Star-News as well as the News-Press and Foothill Leader Newspapers. In 2010, Allen’s health care reporting was named the best in the country by the Association of Health Care Journalists.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online newsroom to win a Pulitzer Prize. ProPublica is supported by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own website and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists