ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
NEW YORK – June 5, 2017 – ProPublica announced today that Hannah Dreier will join its staff as a reporter covering immigration. She will start on July 10.
Dreier has been the Venezuela correspondent for the Associated Press for the past three years. She moved to Caracas in 2014 amid a bloody nationwide protest movement, and has told the story of the once oil-rich country’s unraveling from inside prisons, hospitals and factories. Her 2016 “Venezuela Undone” series – which illuminated Venezuela’s social and economic collapse through deeply reported accounts of ordinary citizens struggling to survive – was recognized by the Best American Newspaper Narrative Writing Contest, the Michael Kelly Award, and the American Society of Newspaper Editors.
Dreier joined AP as a politics reporter in the Sacramento bureau and later covered the business of gambling from Las Vegas. She previously worked at the San Jose Mercury News. A winner of the James Foley Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism, Dreier has also been honored with reporting prizes from the Overseas Press Club, the National Headliner Awards, Society of Professional Journalists and the California Newspaper Publishers Association.
“Hannah is an indefatigable reporter and a natural fit for covering an issue as important and emotional as immigration – locally, nationally and globally,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor. “Our readers will benefit greatly from her talent for revelatory stories, engaging writing and original analysis.”
“I’m honored and excited to be returning to the U.S. to join a team of journalists whose dedication to public service reporting I have so long admired,” said Dreier. “I can’t wait to dig in.”
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration