ProPublica Welcomes Justin Elliott to its Newsroom
New York, N.Y.—Feb. 3, 2012—ProPublica announced today that Justin Elliott will be joining its investigative newsroom as a reporter starting Feb. 21.
Elliott comes to ProPublica from Salon where he was a staff writer focusing on domestic and foreign lobbying, campaign finance and politics. He broke news on the Occupy protests and the so-called Ground Zero mosque and has also written about the Obama campaign, Mitt Romney and contractors in Afghanistan.
Before Salon, Elliott worked as a reporter-blogger for TPMmuckraker, Talking Points Memo’s investigative blog, Mother Jones and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. He is a graduate of Brown University and served as executive editor of the Brown Daily Herald during his time there.
“Justin excels at the kind of hard-hitting and quick-paced journalism that’s a great fit for ProPublica,” said ProPublica senior editor Eric Umansky. “He’s a natural investigative reporter—and one who sees beyond the often-cited but false dichotomy between aggregation versus original reporting. Justin has done great work at Salon and elsewhere, and I’m thrilled he’s joining us.”
“I’m excited to be joining the inspiring team of journalists at ProPublica and I’m looking forward to aggressively pursuing stories in the public interest,” Elliott said.
ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. In 2010, it was the first online news organization to win a Pulitzer Prize. In 2011, ProPublica won the first Pulitzer awarded to a body of work that did not appear in print. ProPublica is supported primarily by philanthropy and provides the articles it produces, free of charge, both through its own website and to leading news organizations selected with an eye toward maximizing the impact of each article. For more information, please visit www.ProPublica.org.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)