A.C. Thompson Wins ASNE Batten Medal
ProPublica is proud to announce that A.C. Thompson is this year’s winner of the American Society of News Editors Batten Medal for individual achievement in public-service journalism. Thompson won for his series of reports about post-Hurricane Katrina violence in New Orleans. His investigations led to the convictions of three officers who worked for the New Orleans Police Department, federal hate crimes charges brought against a local vigilante and several federal investigations into the conduct of the NOLA PD.
The Batten Medal is named in honor of newspaper executive and editor James K. Batten and it recognizes “a body of work covering a period of up to three years, that represents the journalistic values Jim stood for: compassion, courage, humanity and a deep concern for the underdog. In short, journalism that makes a difference in the lives of real people and their communities.”
The award marks the fourth major journalism award Thompson has received for his New Orleans coverage. Congratulations A.C.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.