A.C. Thompson Wins ASNE Batten Medal
ProPublica is proud to announce that A.C. Thompson is this year’s winner of the American Society of News Editors Batten Medal for individual achievement in public-service journalism. Thompson won for his series of reports about post-Hurricane Katrina violence in New Orleans. His investigations led to the convictions of three officers who worked for the New Orleans Police Department, federal hate crimes charges brought against a local vigilante and several federal investigations into the conduct of the NOLA PD.
The Batten Medal is named in honor of newspaper executive and editor James K. Batten and it recognizes “a body of work covering a period of up to three years, that represents the journalistic values Jim stood for: compassion, courage, humanity and a deep concern for the underdog. In short, journalism that makes a difference in the lives of real people and their communities.”
The award marks the fourth major journalism award Thompson has received for his New Orleans coverage. Congratulations A.C.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.