WATCH: Daily Show Cites ProPublica’s Surveillance Reporting
Last night, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart cited ProPublica's reporting in a segment on the NSA spying on several world leaders, and how members of the house intelligence committee adamantly deny knowing anything about the situation.
Stewart quips that the committee has no right to be outraged and surprised. Using our mass surveillance timeline, he explains that "In 2001, Congress passed the Patriot Act giving our intelligence agencies access to 'any tangible thing.' That's the phrase that's in the Patriot Act," Stewart says. "Our nation's intelligence has to have access to everything except wishes and fairies. And that act was renewed twice by Congress."
He goes on to pull more information from our report – including the blanket surveillance provisions Congress allowed under 2007's Protect America Act – and how "the very legislature that was bewildered by the scope and reach of our spying appartus granted them the scope and reach."
Watch the full segment below:
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- ProPublica to Take Over Several Sunlight Foundation Projects
- ProPublica to Co-Host NYC Premiere of “Finding Oscar” at DOC NYC Film Festival
- ProPublica Expands Its Data Sales Business, Announces New Partnerships With Investigative Reporters and Editors and New York Daily News
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.