WATCH: Daily Show Cites ProPublica’s Surveillance Reporting
Last night, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart cited ProPublica's reporting in a segment on the NSA spying on several world leaders, and how members of the house intelligence committee adamantly deny knowing anything about the situation.
Stewart quips that the committee has no right to be outraged and surprised. Using our mass surveillance timeline, he explains that "In 2001, Congress passed the Patriot Act giving our intelligence agencies access to 'any tangible thing.' That's the phrase that's in the Patriot Act," Stewart says. "Our nation's intelligence has to have access to everything except wishes and fairies. And that act was renewed twice by Congress."
He goes on to pull more information from our report – including the blanket surveillance provisions Congress allowed under 2007's Protect America Act – and how "the very legislature that was bewildered by the scope and reach of our spying appartus granted them the scope and reach."
Watch the full segment below:
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.