Dart Center Honors “Finding Oscar” Investigation
The Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma announced today that ProPublica and our partners This American Life and Fundación MEPI won the Award for Excellence in Coverage of Trauma for our joint “Finding Oscar” and “What Happened at Dos Erres” stories. This is the third time ProPublica has been honored with a Dart Center Award.
The pieces tell the story of Oscar Ramírez Castañeda and how he survived a 1982 massacre in Dos Erres, Guatemala, after he was kidnapped and raised by one of the killers. A determined prosecutor eventually solved the mystery and obtained guilty verdicts for some of the commandos involved in the atrocity, all while helping Oscar learn the truth about his past and leading to a reunion with his real father who also had survived.
In the Dart Center announcement, the judges called the narrative "'wonderfully gripping' and 'utterly remarkable' in its level of complexity, engagement and impact. They praised the variety of 'delicately-balanced storytelling techniques,' 'astute interviewing' and 'range of voices and perspectives' that created a 'riveting' and 'revealing' narrative about perpetrators, victims and justice. They commented on the 'unusual strength' of the online, radio and multimedia components, and commended the 'transnational and transcultural collaboration' between ProPublica, Fundación MEPI and This American Life, calling it a model for innovative reporting on human rights."
Read more about the Dart Center Awards here and congratulations to all the winners and finalists.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.