David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
ProPublica announced today that David Sleight, a longtime designer and developer, will join its staff as design director next month.
Sleight worked on some of the first web-based textbooks at Pearson Education, then went on to lead the interactive design team at BusinessWeek.com during two site overhauls. Since 2010, he’s consulted for numerous startups at his Brooklyn design shop, Stuntbox, specializing in user experience and responsive web design. He’s a regular columnist at A List Apart magazine and a member of Readability’s board of advisors.
“I’m incredibly excited to be joining the team at ProPublica,” Sleight said. “It’s one of the highest-caliber news organizations, doing journalism with real impact. I can’t wait to roll up my sleeves and start building new ways to present that work.
The design director role is a new one for ProPublica, which aims to heighten its attention to design as it expands.
“We went in search of a visionary who could give our important work the most creative and effective presentation,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor, “and we got that and so much more in David.”
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.