Lisa Song to Cover the Environment for ProPublica
ProPublica announced today that it has hired Lisa Song as a reporter covering the environment, energy and climate change. She will start on March 1.
Song comes to ProPublica from InsideClimate News, where she focused on similar subjects for the past six years and led the newsroom’s data reporting. As the co-author of a series that showed the risks of a new type of crude oil, she won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting. She was also part of the reporting team that revealed Exxon’s shift from conducting global warming research to supporting climate denial, in a series that was a finalist for the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. From 2013 to 2014, Song helped lead an investigative series on air pollution from Texas’ oil and gas drilling, exposing systemic flaws in public health regulation and enforcement.
With degrees in earth science and science writing from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Song has previously reported for New Scientist and Scientific American.
“I've long admired ProPublica's dedication to accountability journalism and its innovative data reporting,” said Song. “I'm excited to join these amazing reporters, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I can't wait to get started."
“Lisa is an integral addition to ProPublica’s team, at a time when issues like climate science and environmental regulations have become increasingly urgent,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor. “She has the drive, creativity and scientific knowledge needed to help our readers understand what the stakes are and which players to hold to account. We are thrilled to get to work with her.”
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Lisa Song to Cover the Environment for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.