New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson to Join ProPublica
ProPublica announced today that Ginger Thompson of The New York Times will join its staff next month as a senior reporter.
In her 15 years at The Times, Thompson has written award-winning and important stories on topics ranging from the secret role of the U.S. government in Mexico’s drug war to the devastating 2010 earthquake in Haiti and the first in-depth profile of Bradley Manning. She was also part of a team of reporters on The Times's Pulitzer Prize winning series “How Race is Lived in America.”
“I’m thrilled to be joining an organization devoted entirely to journalism that can make a real difference in people’s lives, and one that is staffed by reporters and editors who have proven they can deliver,” Thompson said.
Prior to joining The Times, Thompson was a national reporter at The Chicago Tribune and a Pulitzer finalist as a Latin America correspondent at The Baltimore Sun. She is also a winner of the Maria Moors Cabot Prize, the Selden Ring Award, the Overseas Press Club Award, and the Inter-American Press Association Award.
“Ginger’s bona fides speak for themselves, from the impressive honors to the variety of topics she’s covered in winning them,” said Robin Fields, ProPublica’s managing editor. “She is just the kind of reporter we dream of hiring, and we can’t wait to see how her range of talents adds to our newsroom.”
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.