Paul Steiger Receives Honorary Doctorate from Columbia University
Columbia University today announced that it will award ProPublica founder and executive chairman Paul Steiger with a Doctor of Laws honorary degree for his outstanding career in journalism.
The degree recognizes Steiger’s contributions to journalism during 46 years that have included stints at the Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal and ProPublica. During his 16 year tenure as managing editor of the Journal, its newsroom staff won 16 Pulitzer Prizes. And as the Internet undermined newspapers’ business models, Steiger fought back against the decline in investigative journalism by founding ProPublica. Columbia’s award announcement noted that, “During a period of marked decline in reporting resources in much of the American news media, ProPublica focuses on important stories of accountability journalism. As ProPublica’s editor-in-chief, Steiger’s reporters won the first Pulitzer Prize awarded to an online news organization and a second Pulitzer, which was the first given to stories not published in print.
Steiger and several others will be honored at Columbia’s commencement ceremony which takes place on May 22nd. Congratulations Paul!
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Cynthia Gordy Named as ProPublica’s Marketing Director
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.