Paul Steiger Receives Honorary Doctorate from Columbia University
Columbia University today announced that it will award ProPublica founder and executive chairman Paul Steiger with a Doctor of Laws honorary degree for his outstanding career in journalism.
The degree recognizes Steiger’s contributions to journalism during 46 years that have included stints at the Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal and ProPublica. During his 16 year tenure as managing editor of the Journal, its newsroom staff won 16 Pulitzer Prizes. And as the Internet undermined newspapers’ business models, Steiger fought back against the decline in investigative journalism by founding ProPublica. Columbia’s award announcement noted that, “During a period of marked decline in reporting resources in much of the American news media, ProPublica focuses on important stories of accountability journalism. As ProPublica’s editor-in-chief, Steiger’s reporters won the first Pulitzer Prize awarded to an online news organization and a second Pulitzer, which was the first given to stories not published in print.
Steiger and several others will be honored at Columbia’s commencement ceremony which takes place on May 22nd. Congratulations Paul!
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Expands Its Data Sales Business, Announces New Partnerships With Investigative Reporters and Editors and New York Daily News
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.