ProPublica Illinois Is Looking for a Reporting Fellow
Do you love investigative reporting and want to do more of it, working alongside some of the most accomplished journalists in the business? We’re looking for a reporting fellow to join the staff at ProPublica Illinois, our new regional operation.
Fellows may be recent college or journalism school graduates or developing reporters who have found this work through a different path. Our fellows primarily report their own stories — like this one — but also collaborate with ProPublica’s reporters on big projects. Reporting fellows at ProPublica have gone on to work at The New York Times, Bloomberg, Politico, NPR, Center for Public Integrity and the Chicago Tribune — as well as ProPublica itself.
The fellowship runs a minimum of 16 weeks and may last for up to a year. This position is full time and based in Chicago. Compensation is $750 per week. The start date would be late summer or early fall.
If you would like to apply, fill out the form. For writing samples, please send us stories that highlight your best reporting, especially hard-hitting investigative journalism or in-depth explanatory work.
We know there are great candidates who may not perfectly fit this description, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
The deadline to apply is June 25.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.