ProPublica is Hiring a Freelance Producer/Copy Editor
We are no longer accepting applications for this opening.
ProPublica is looking for a sharp-eyed, detail-oriented web producer with copy editing experience to supplement our New York newsroom on a temporary freelance basis.
Your work will encompass copy editing and production tasks, working in tandem with reporters, editors and other designers and developers to put together story packages that are both exemplary pieces of journalism and forward-thinking in terms of design and execution. This includes reading stories with an eye for grammar, usage and house style, as well as producing and publishing them in our CMS.
ProPublica’s Design & Production team values inclusive, user-focused design, a mobile-first approach and documentation. We do not adhere to the idea of service desks or assembly lines.
A typical day at ProPublica might find you:
- Coordinating with editors and reporters to keep the story schedule on track and up to date
- Formatting and posting the latest articles via our CMS
- Making photo and art selections to accompany stories we publish
- Coordinating schedules with photographers and illustrators we commission
- Editing HTML and CSS to implement basic story layouts and site features
- Copy editing stories before they publish, adhering to AP and house style
- Contributing to documentation, including our house style guide
- Ability to write clean, effective HTML and CSS
- Intermediate Photoshop or equivalent
- Strong command of grammar and AP style
The ideal applicant is highly organized and detail-oriented. She cares deeply about editorial content and making the best selections possible to support the material we report. This role often requires scheduling flexibility, as story publication times can range widely.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, we are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.