ProPublica Is Hiring a Web Producer for ProPublica Illinois
ProPublica is looking for a sharp-eyed, detail-oriented web producer to join our new Chicago newsroom covering Illinois.
Why you want this job: You’ll be integral to the newest chapter of one of the most exciting news operations in the country. You will be part of a new newsroom that will run independently from, but in close coordination with, our operation in New York.
You’ll work with our growing Design & Production group, collaborating directly with team members to produce stories that are both exemplary pieces of journalism and forward-thinking in terms of design and execution. ProPublica’s Design & Production team values inclusive, user-focused design, a mobile-first approach, and documentation. We do not adhere to the idea of service desks or assembly lines.
A typical day at ProPublica might find you:
- Coordinating with editors and reporters in Chicago and New York to keep story schedules on track and up to date.
- Formatting and posting the latest articles via our CMS.
- Making photo and art selections to accompany what we publish, and coordinating schedules with photographers and illustrators we commission.
- Editing HTML and CSS to implement and refine story layouts and site features.
Skills you’ll need:
- Ability to track and communicate story schedules and project details across teams.
- Ability to write clean, effective HTML and CSS.
- Intermediate Photoshop or equivalent.
- A solid design eye (especially when it comes to great news photography and/or editorial illustration)
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
This is a full-time position based in ProPublica Illinois’ Chicago newsroom, with competitive salary and benefits.
To apply, fill out our application form. Be sure to include a link to your portfolio if you have one. If you don’t have a portfolio, please send links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on and describe how you contributed to them. Tell us what worked, what might not of, and how that fit into the context of what was needed for the project.
Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.