ProPublica Managing Editor Steve Engelberg’s Favorite #Longreads
In advance of tonight's event, "Long-Form Storytelling in a Short-Attention-Span World,” our Managing Editor, Steve Engelberg, has compiled a short list of his favorite #longreads.
Vanity Fair: "Beware of Greeks Bearing Bonds" by Michael Lewis
Wall Street Journal ($): Seven Hours of Sitting and Waiting Leaves Northwest Passengers Near Breaking Point by Susan Carey
The New Yorker: "The Agent - Did the C.I.A. Stop an F.B.I. Detective from Preventing 9/11?" by Lawrence Wright
The New Yorker: "The Cost Conundrum -- What a Texas Town Can Teach Us About Health Care" by Atul Gawande
Vanity Fair: “A Declaration of Cyber-War” by Michael Joseph Gross
Engelberg will be joined on the stage by the New Yorker's David Remnick, This American Life's Ira Glass, and FrontlinePBS's Raney Aronson-Rath. You can join us, too! For those in NY, the seats are in the New School’s Tishman Auditorium and are first-come, first-serve. More details here. The panel will also be webcast. Just use the hasthag #lfsa to join in on Twitter.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Celeste LeCompte Named ProPublica’s Director of Business Development
- Annie Waldman to Cover Education for ProPublica
- Adam Harris to Join ProPublica as Assistant Social Editor
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.