ProPublica Managing Editor Steve Engelberg’s Favorite #Longreads
In advance of tonight's event, "Long-Form Storytelling in a Short-Attention-Span World,” our Managing Editor, Steve Engelberg, has compiled a short list of his favorite #longreads.
Vanity Fair: "Beware of Greeks Bearing Bonds" by Michael Lewis
Wall Street Journal ($): Seven Hours of Sitting and Waiting Leaves Northwest Passengers Near Breaking Point by Susan Carey
The New Yorker: "The Agent - Did the C.I.A. Stop an F.B.I. Detective from Preventing 9/11?" by Lawrence Wright
The New Yorker: "The Cost Conundrum -- What a Texas Town Can Teach Us About Health Care" by Atul Gawande
Vanity Fair: “A Declaration of Cyber-War” by Michael Joseph Gross
Engelberg will be joined on the stage by the New Yorker's David Remnick, This American Life's Ira Glass, and FrontlinePBS's Raney Aronson-Rath. You can join us, too! For those in NY, the seats are in the New School’s Tishman Auditorium and are first-come, first-serve. More details here. The panel will also be webcast. Just use the hasthag #lfsa to join in on Twitter.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.