ProPublica Wins 2 Online News Association Awards
ProPublica took home two awards at the 14th annual Online Journalism Awards dinner Saturday night in Atlanta, capping the Online News Association Conference.
ProPublica's 2012 election coverage won the planned news events award for medium-size publications (those with 20 to 125 full-time staffers). Highlights of the package included:
- PAC Track, the first independent-expenditure tracker in the 2012 campaign;
- Free the Files, an ambitious crowdsourcing project in which more than 1,500 users helped us track political ad filings from television stations in swing markets; and
- Message Machine, a news app that let readers see how campaigns used their data to target them via email.
The Big Money project, with PBS’s Frontline and American Public Media’s Marketplace, won the Gannett Foundation Award for Innovative Investigative Journalism for medium-size publications. It was a key part of ProPublica’s long-term investigation into the "dark money” increasingly influencing political races.
ProPublica's editor in chief, Stephen Engelberg, said the awards “reaffirm the importance of ProPublica’s role as an elections spending watchdog in an increasingly political world,” adding, “We’re committed to continuing to work at the junction of impact and accessibility.”
Scott Klein, senior editor for news applications, agreed. “With all of the incredible work being done to cover the visible parts of the 2012 campaign, we wanted to tell the invisible stories, so we focussed our attention on hidden money, secret campaign tactics, obscured ad spending," he said. "We’re immensely proud of the team who worked on our election coverage and gratified to have their work recognized by a community we are such big fans of.”
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.