ProPublica Wins ASNE Award for Distinguished Writing on Diversity
His reporting unveiled a network of immigrant labor brokers called raiteros, and how they recruit and shuttle temp workers on behalf of some of the largest companies in the country, providing just-in-time labor at the lowest possible cost to corporations while charging temp workers high fees that often push their pay below minimum wage. Using exhaustive statistical analysis, Grabell and ProPublica's data team also found that temp jobs are among the most dangerous -- with temp workers getting injured at as much as six times the rate of regular employees, even in comparable occupations.
The judges also recognized T. Christian Miller and Jeff Gerth's "Overdose" series as a finalist for ASNE's Punch Sulzberger Award for Online Storytelling. Their investigation examined the risks of acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, and how federal officials have failed to act as they confronted increasingly definitive evidence of its danger.
See the full list of winners here. Congratulations to all involved.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Isaac Arnsdorf to Cover the Trump Administration
- ProPublica, New York Daily News Win Pulitzer Prize for Public Service
- ProPublica, CPJ Host 'Dateline-Saigon' Screening & Talk on Holding Government Accountable
- ProPublica Illinois Partners with “Beyond Caring” Play on Chicago Temp Workers
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.